Weight of a Speedway Vincent

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In 'Tuning for Speed' Phil Vincent wrote "... the Speedway Vincent engine with standard 66 per cent factor caused severe vibration in a very light dirt-track frame until the factor was reduced to 61 percent, ..." I have two questions I hope someone can answer: 1) is the claimed dry weight of 390 lbs. I found on-line roughly correct for a pre-War Series A Comet, and 2) what was the weight of the Speedway Vincent?

A_HRD

VOC Member
In 'Tuning for Speed' Phil Vincent wrote "... the Speedway Vincent engine with standard 66 per cent factor caused severe vibration in a very light dirt-track frame until the factor was reduced to 61 percent, ..." I have two questions I hope someone can answer: 1) is the claimed dry weight of 390 lbs. I found on-line roughly correct for a pre-War Series A Comet, and 2) what was the weight of the Speedway Vincent?

The 1936 Series A Comet Special weighed-in at 390lbs plus/minus a little - depending on customer-defined spec. I would therefore estimate close to 400lbs for the std 1936 A Comet.
Peter B

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Paul Richardson says some were crankcase alloy and some Magnesium alloy there is a guy in NZ that has a new one never run,I will be there in a few days time I will ask him if he has the weight off the unit, Ian Boyd has one in a series A frame that is alloy crankcases, the Cadwell special is in Lincolnshire UK , there 2 blow up ones in NZ

davidd

VOC Member
I have wondered about weight because I have always had the feeling that with some of the special engines it is was the way the engines were mounted rather than weight difference that caused the vibration. This seems to be the case in the car engines, which vibrate much more.

Those weights seem very high as my racer with no magnesium except the gearbox (which weighs nearly as much as a stock AMC box) weighs 285 lbs.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Andrew Rackstraw New Zealand said when he ran the International in 1992 they were loaned the speedway engine, so members that attended would have seen it.

D

Deleted member 3831

I saw this engine a few years back, in NZ South Island, property of Bill Veitch
Speedway engine.jpg

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Pigeon from NZ, just popped in with a message NZ,rally March 23/24 Speedway engine on show 2 series A twins, and a series A Comet, and a 1949 Black Lightning.

D

Deleted member 3831

A couple more photo's of the speedway engine.

Attachments

• Speedway 2.jpg
    Speedway 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 46
  • Speedway 3.jpg
    Speedway 3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 45