Website

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Why does the site keep logging me out when I change forums? In case that's not clear, when Log in and go to technical advice (say) and then try to go to Rose and Crown by clicling on "forums", I get a message telling me I'm not logged in and have to log in again. Site will not "remeber " me either.

Regards Mac

G

Graham Smith

Firstly, have you clicked the 'remember me' button?

Unless you're using a public computer (ie in an internet café), then once you've logged in, you should never need to log out again!

If you have clicked the 'remember me' button, then it's probably your computer that's at fault, in that it's got a problem with 'cookies'.

I don't know what computer, operating system or browser you run, but if you do a search on the internet for your particular set up and 'clearing cookies' this should solve the problem.

This isn't the first time people have had this problem, but in every case so far, it's been down to an individual user's browser - not the forum software. Don't forget if it was a problem with the forum software, then everyone else would be suffering the same problem!

Albervin

VOC Member
cookies

I have had several people in Australia ring me & complain that the forum is a "closed shop" because they have to keep on logging in or registering.
I tell them that it is their computer & the way their cookies are set up but they often don't understand.
It depends on the browser more than the computer, for PCs that is either IE or Firefox & for Mac it is Safari or maybe Firefox.
In Safari go to preferences, security & tick the right boxes. For IE you are on your own as I don't touch it with a barge pole. For Firefox go into preferences, Privacy & select what you want to do with cookies (suggest you save until expiry).
:)

G

Graham Smith

Alyn - it sounds very much like you use a Mac rather than a PC.

Isn't it strange that (as far as I know) Mac users don't suffer with this problem!

I know Alyn put some instructions on his post, but these might be easier to follow if you don't use your computer daily...

If you are using Safari (on a Mac), I'm using Version 3.0.4 (5523.15)
1. Go to 'preferences' under Safari on the top menu bar.
2. Click on Security (the padlock icon).
3. Click on 'Show Cookies'.
4. In the search bar at the top, type in 'vincentownersclub.co.uk' - this will show just the cookies for the forum.
5. Click on 'Remove All'.
6. Click on 'Done'
7. Close the Security Window down by clicking on the red button at the top left.

Next time you log into the forum, you will need to enter your details, but never again.

Perhaps PC users could post instructions on how to re-set cookies for your particular configuration?

Last edited by a moderator:

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Has the website been modded? I can now move freely around and it remembers me which it has never done. Haven't done anything to my computer since I asked the question above:confused:

G

Graham Smith

No, no changes here.

I am due to perform a minor update at some point, but am thinking about holding back, as there's a BIG upgrade due soon, and might wait for that one!

Your browser keep logging you out isn't a forum problem - it's a browser issue.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
First I'm delighted to be able to navigate the site as intended. It now logs me straight in from my favorites list which it would never do. I am a member of several forums and didn't have the problem on those only here. I use a Compaq laptop, windows XP and IE.
I'm puzzled but pleased that it fixed itself. When I clicked on the site, it logged me straight in and then asked for a profile update. Could that have anything to do with it?

G

Graham Smith

The profile update is only asking you if you own a Vincent/HRD machine.

Just some information the VOC's Machine Researcher is after.