Website Update

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I hope you all know I am just having a bit of FUN, Cheers Bill.
I'm late to reply as I suspected that your comment was "tongue in cheek".;) As one of the most regular posters on this forum with interesting, useful, or amusing comments I think you are far more able in the forum department than post #2 suggests.
I don't think Graham would make changes to the forum just for change's sake but more likely changes made will make the forum even better for everyone.
I agree with comments by Nulli Secundus re the BHR forum. It is a real pity as unavailable, impenetrable, uncontactable are not good features and a great pity. (No disrespect intended to the BHR committee who like ourselves are unpaid volunteers.) A forum that does not work is is of no use and reflects poorly on an organisation and emphasises how good this form really is.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
In the next couple of weeks there'll be a significant upgrade to our forum which amongst other things will allow…

Native push notifications on supported devices/browsers
Tables in posts
Reactions to posts
URL unfurling
Emoji enhancements including an improved smilie menu with easy emoji access
Video uploads
Approval queue improvements (which we use in the background)
Guest performance improvements including guest page caching
Content bookmarking and sharing
A really simple way of upgrading the forum going forward, which will potentially save me loads of time.
BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments

I'll post again when I know when it's likely to be.
Nice one Graham and no doubt a lot of hard work involved.
I'm gradually getting used to using the forum now but the inclusion of a short instructional video sounds a great idea to help new people to the page.
Jon

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I note in the VMCC forum the forum managers recently said they would get in touch with the VOC forum because they liked it and did not like their own, praise indeed.
I have said before that as I helped enter all the manual forms into the online VOC member survey I was surprised by the number who had a PC, surfed the net ,but were unable to get on the forum. Now we know its not hard or you wouldn't be reading this, but getting on the forum certainly should be a subject of a winters club night or an MPH article.
There is of course a rump of people who will never touch a keyboard thats always been the way, the Motorcyclist has always been a bit resistant to change, after all the EW Douglas did not sell with automatic oiling till they also added a hand pump on the flat tank top!