waterslide transfer protection

tractorman414

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Folks

Doing a bit of tidying up, and want to replace damaged tank transfers. Its a long time since I,ve done that job and don't remember the "varnish" I used. Even if I did remember, I expect its no longer made!. Had a look at www.thevincent.com and our friend across the pond talk about using catalysed polyurethane, sound rather industrial to me.

Any advise on a petrol proof coating, that does not react with the transfer or cellulose paint and is readly available in small quantities.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Transfer protection

Humbrol matt clear enamel works. I have coated the Transfer on a UFM with it , recently. Available from model shops. If you don't like matt use gloss

tractorman414

VOC Member
transfer protection

thanks Boggler, but is Humbrol petrol proof, on head stock it may not have been subject to a spill !!

Bernard

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Humbrol enamel

I have just washed the transfer on the headstock with lead free petrol. It is still intact. Therefore I suggest the humbrol enamel is ok.

john998

VOC Member
Humbrol enamel.

Hello, Not too sure about availability of this item as Humbrol went bust a while ago.
Does any one want a Hawker Hunter from their front yard?

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Transfer protection

Clearkote (get it from B and Q) works, but it is important to avoid testing it with petrol until it has had several weeks to cure. Don't ask. Ask neither why I'm particularly careful not to spill Avgas.....

Somewhere in the jtan correspondence it was suggested that it was important to make certain the lacquer was compatible with the paint, so the best person to apply the lacquer was the tank painter. This might be true, but not much use if your tank was done many years ago by persons and paint unknown.

nkt267

VOC Member
You have to be careful with some waterslide transfers as to the type of varnish/clearcoat used.A set of transfers for my 1932 Sunbeam,supplied by VMCC,states that 'clear cellulose or single pack acrylic clearcoat will cause the transfers to shrink' . Test one with your coating first.

derek

VOC Member
Transfer varnish

I was about to ask the same question, as I am about to fix transfers to tank etc.
I have in the past tried, as sugessted, picture varnis, polyurethene, yatch and clearkote. I never had success, there was cracking, fogging and wrinkling. I would like a brushing varnish as spray's like clearkote can spot and ruin the tanke finish. Any further help appreciated and how about gold linning of tanks.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Transfers

The guy who did my Vin tank (a professional) turned down my offer to get the transfers because he'd had to re-do too many tanks when "new-old-stock" transfers wrinkled when they were lacquered. He would get the transfers. The finished article was, and four years later remains, perfect. What that told me was that the choice of transfers was just as important as the choice of lacquer. My own amateur attempts with Clearkote were OK, and still are several years later.

If this is a repeat of an earlier message, then it didn't disappear into hyperspace after all.......

Len Matthews

VOC Member
During my spell as Regalia Stock Controller I knew that members were having problems with the original type of transfer with which you only got one chance to get them in the right position. With waterslide you can float them on a film of water until you're happy about the placement. I collected as many orginals as possible and went along to Eagle Transfers in Birmingham. They were most helpful and understood my insistance that exact replicas were required. I was well pleased with the outcome. You may have noticed that some Vincent transfers are on offer at autojumbles.Most of these are nothing like authentic; some even have red lettering! Ugh!