Want to buy my first Vincent, a project Comet

headcreeps

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a Comet. My budget can afford one in project condition or perhaps in fair condition (up to £11,000).

The bike will be used in Portugal which means I will have to re-register it, so previous registrations (or lack of) are not important.
I’m also not concerned with known history or matching numbers. I just want a solid bike that I can restore back to its former glory, ride and enjoy it.

If any of you kind people know of one for sale that fits the bill, please get in touch with me.

Cheers.
Lino

Last edited:

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Will this also mean the start of a new VOC section or are there already Vincents in Portugal?

I seem to recall that Portugal is Britain’s oldest ally, having not been on the opposing side in any wars since the formation of the United Kingdom. We have had wars with many, if not most, other nations in the last 300 years.

Lets keep it that way by now exporting one of our finest products to Lino.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Lino,

Have you had lots of private messages offering you project Comets? If not, you may need to specify your price range to show people that you are not asking for charity.

If you get an offer from a non-VOC member try to get a local member to go and see it for you.

headcreeps

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian

No offers yet. I know of some beautifully restored Comets for sale but none in project condition.
I’ve followed your advice and edited my top post to include my price range. Hopefully it will draw some sellers.

Try the spares company they are getting a steady stream in lately

Thanks vibrac, I'll do that.

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian

No offers yet. I know of some beautifully restored Comets for sale but none in project condition.
I’ve followed your advice and edited my top post to include my price range. Hopefully it will draw some sellers.

Thanks vibrac, I'll do that.

Check out ebay for the price of UFM and RFM which I assume come from wrecks. You would be lucky to get just those for the price you hope to purchase a project bike for.

18 months back I paid almost 16,000 UK for a project Comet and since then have spent half that again in restoration work.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it will cost just as much to restore a single as it will to restore a twin.

vibrac

VOC Member
Gone are the days that a restoration is a cheap way - unless you have a good lathe and dont worry about standard. I think 12K for a working clean near standard comet is about right

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Pricesmust be higher in the Uk. I recently heard of a good Comet selling locally here for 12k CDN, about 7,500gbp.Might be worth looking a bit farther afield, if you are not already doing so.

Glen

b'knighted

VOC Member
Lino is in Portugal so UK registration is not important to him. If you hear of another at that sort of price it may work out worthwhile to ship it. The potential problem with buying long distance is that he may get a poorly described bike like the overpriced, cosmetically good, mechanically bad, bike that Martyn describes.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Definitely some risk involved there, but even a bike that can be viewed up close come with lots of risk. I know of aC Shadow that sold for over 100k , was supposed to be in great condition, purchaser viewed and may have ridden the bike. Shortly after purchase it was disassembled by an expert and found to be totally knackered internally.
At least if you start out with a reasonable purchase price, there is room left to make the bike into a useable machine.
Lino has the right idea asking the club members, lots can be learned about the condition of a bike this way.
I bought a Australian Rapide from some photos and a description, but relied heavily on club reports that said the seller was an honest person. That bike took three months to arrive, however it was at least as good as advertised, put it to work right away.