Vokes Filters

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I recently acquired a set of Vokes Filters which are identical in every respect to the usual ones fitted, except for the fact they are c 1 inch larger in diameter, the thread is larger the same size as a Shadow carb, they are also painted black instead of grey.
Supposedly came off a Shadow.
Has anyone seen these before?.

Picture 001.jpg

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What dia. are they? I have a set on my Rap that have been there since at least the 60's.
I believe that the repro ones supplied now use a modern filter element, the originals use a metal gauze and need an angled adaptor to fit the carb, makes it a bit of a job getting the back plug out.
JimR

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Jim, They are 5" diameter, the element is exactly the same as the original, wire mesh felt etc. The original elbow adaptors were missing. The screw on apertures are bigger than the standard elbow so a new pair have had to be recast. They fit ok on the bike just bigger.

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
Vokes Filter on a Shadow

I hope the photo has attached, my Shadow with Vokes filters fitted.I believe it was taken @1954.

Attachments

• img021.jpg
    img021.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

dashow

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have found a bunch of the filters you have. They are a tad bit larger than the Hall repops I have been using. I have no idea of the original size but the Halls will screw on to the carb and fit without the adaptors. I have made adaptors for these NOS vokes filters and they seem to work fine. The adaptors have the shadow sized opening on both ends so it should result in an unhampered flow. The vokes filters have the rain cap and I am assuming they"re vincent but would welcome comments from anyone knowing differently.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I keep forgetting to run a rule over mine, but they look like 5" and they have the rain caps.
From previous discussions of the Voles filters I believe that there is a part number stamped on the back plate although I have never taken mine off to look.

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On the pair that i have there is a part no stamped on the front plate in the same position as the smaller 4" filters, it being B31269 1SS3

dashow

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
OK, so were 5" and 4" available in the 50's? Did Vincent use both? The 5" need the adaptor. The 4" by Steve Hall can be screwed on directly to the carb and fits well on the comet as well as the shadow. The original might screw on to the Rapide directly but not the shadow. However if it had the smaller intake hole it would need the adaptor for the Comet or Shadow. I know Steve will give you either sized hole but most probably the original 4" vokes only had the smaller hole and needed the adaptor. If the 5" were used for a vincent there would have to have been an adaptor made. . Does anyone know of one?? .

Ian Watson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Last week end I had a great ride using only the right hand carb, following a flooding problem ! I was subsequently surprised to find fine sand (Australian dust?) in my carbies, paticularly as the bike is kept in a "bubble" and is not used a lot. So my question to the experienced Gentlemen... Modern bikes have an air filter over the carb mouth, but why do Vincent owners generally not have these . The Vokes appear to have good reports. Is it simply aesthetics ?

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I have Vokes on my Rap, they were on it when I got it, the only problem is it makes it difficult to get to the rear plug.
Aesthetically I don't really notice them.