VOC Website

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For some reason, I haven't looked at the VOC website much http://www.voc.uk.com/ I clicked on Members, then logged in, then clicked on Info, Technical and there is a tremendous amount of information there - workshop how-to videos, Lucas manuals. etc. Only available to members, so a very good reason to join https://www.voc.uk.com/clubshop/newmember_1.php if you haven't.

Some of the questions asked on these pages are answered there, such as Comet cam timing. I enjoy the interaction here, but more knowledge is good.

vibrac

VOC Member
Untill more use it it wont be added to but there is lots there already
But perhaps if we simply SHOUT the next time a member asks a question whose answer lies there already it would be considered rude- what do you think?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I agree that it can be rude, but my goal when I got my Rapide was to do myself a favor and read the Riders manual, Richardson, KTB, etc. and to have as good a basis for asking questions as possible. Like so many things, the cutoff point for being told to look it up for yourself is hard to define. Is how to remove the rear wheel too simple to ask on line and the questioner should be told to look in the Riders Manual? My post wasn't to complain, but to point out the additional resource we have.

Albervin

VOC Member
Back when I bought my first Vincent it was PC (Pre Computers) and BOOKS were the answer. The alternatives were snail mail letters and expensive phone calls due to the paucity of Vincent owners in my area at the time. Now it is all to easy to enter a question on a forum without even making a small effort to find the answer, whether it be a book, google or a phone call. I enjoy helping people solve problems but draw the line when they make not one iota of effort themselves. Sincerely yours GOM (Grumpy Old Man).

timetraveller

VOC Member
The way that I see it there are those who are totally new to the world of Vincents and need some help to guide them towards 'Know thy Beast' etc. Then there are others who are just too damn idle to look it up. If that is the case then they are almost certainly too idle to do the job properly. What continually surprises me is the number of people who seem prepared to buy a 60 year old bike and who have little or no mechanical knowledge. Perhaps they are the ones who regularly require the services of the 'Get you home' break down services and perhaps they also provide a regular source of income to the Vincent rebuilders!! Whatever the circumstance, they almost certainly cannot get the same pleasere of ownership and riding as those of us who know what is happening inside those shiny cases and who know where the rattles are coming from.

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
Maybe we should suggest they read the information in the various locations, and tell them to come back to the Forum to discuss their problems from a more informed position.

But what do I know, I'm a man and an Engineer, I only read manuals when all else fails, I've got all sorts of fittings left over from flat pack furniture.

H

b'knighted

VOC Member
Manuals - aren't they that sort of paper slip pack, used for levelling flat pack furniture by removing pages until they are exactly the right thickness?

Howard

VOC Member
The way I build them, it takes at least 2 Haynes manuals to level them, but then I've never found them much use for anything else!!

H

Manuals - aren't they that sort of paper slip pack, used for levelling flat pack furniture by removing pages until they are exactly the right thickness?