T: Fuel Tank VOC Spares Petrol Tanks

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was told a good trick by a friend for using compressed air to test a tank, get an old inner tube and cut it in half near the valve, seal the short end, with something (round piece of something and a Jubilee clip will do) put the other end over your filler neck also with a Jubilee clip, you now have a flexible air reservoir which will soon show you if you have too much pressure in.

davidd

VOC Member
I do use air, but I have a regulator that can be set at 1 Lb. or less. I usually use masking tape on a petcock or filler neck to hold the air in. It will fail quickly if it receives a burst of air. It is easy to do the taping again. I think 2 lbs. is too much for aluminum. A minor increase in air pressure will bubble through a leak in a water bath.

David

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thanks
I ordered a bare steel tank from India before COVID and it arrived this week. My expectations were that I would have to finesse the tank to fit in someway, but at the price point it was a risk I was willing to take.

The tank arrived and very impressed right out of the box with how well it was made - new clean metal, shaped properly, good looking welds. It is made from only a few properly shaped panels so the inside was very clean. It even had bottom panels with similar pressings as the original., albeit hand hammered.

I immediately offered it up my Rapide and was surprised at how perfectly it fit straight off. Installed the front rubber buffers and bolts, the rear bracket is spot on, the oil tank filler central. Wow..

I asked a few of the local lads (Dan S/Robert W) about the rear bracket - the welds on the underside look clean and strong, but it is missing the 1" stitch weld on the top, which will be an easy fix.

My original tank was really in a sorry state - a failed liner and 2 really big previous repairs with about 2 pounds of added bronze weld and a full 1/8" layer of polyfibre filler over the whole tank. Not knowing if I could source a reasonable replacement tank after enquires on this forum and no stock at VOC, I opened the bottom up (for its 3rd time), removed the liner by hand, bronze welded up, pressure tested and Redkoted the inside. The outside has now received a proper HRD paint job with 22K gold leaf lines and it looks pretty swish right now. I will use it initially, but becasue of the amount of repair I am less comfortable keeping it in full time service.

I sourced my tank from well known Royal Choppers <royalchoppers1@gmail.com> from ebay seller "vintage24x7". I have advised them of the missing weld and they are looking at that for future tanks. I would not get a painted tank, better to work from a bare steel base.View attachment 35100View attachment 35101View attachment 35102View attachment 35103View attachment 35104

Thanks Jim for the information I have two originals that need major work. So the Indian tank looks to be a good alternative for my rapide build. Hope you and Elizabeth are well.

What are they charging for a tank approx? DM me if you prefer.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I ordered a bare steel tank from India before COVID and it arrived this week. My expectations were that I would have to finesse the tank to fit in someway, but at the price point it was a risk I was willing to take.

The tank arrived and very impressed right out of the box with how well it was made - new clean metal, shaped properly, good looking welds. It is made from only a few properly shaped panels so the inside was very clean. It even had bottom panels with similar pressings as the original., albeit hand hammered.

I immediately offered it up my Rapide and was surprised at how perfectly it fit straight off. Installed the front rubber buffers and bolts, the rear bracket is spot on, the oil tank filler central. Wow..

I asked a few of the local lads (Dan S/Robert W) about the rear bracket - the welds on the underside look clean and strong, but it is missing the 1" stitch weld on the top, which will be an easy fix.

My original tank was really in a sorry state - a failed liner and 2 really big previous repairs with about 2 pounds of added bronze weld and a full 1/8" layer of polyfibre filler over the whole tank. Not knowing if I could source a reasonable replacement tank after enquires on this forum and no stock at VOC, I opened the bottom up (for its 3rd time), removed the liner by hand, bronze welded up, pressure tested and Redkoted the inside. The outside has now received a proper HRD paint job with 22K gold leaf lines and it looks pretty swish right now. I will use it initially, but becasue of the amount of repair I am less comfortable keeping it in full time service.

I sourced my tank from well known Royal Choppers <royalchoppers1@gmail.com> from ebay seller "vintage24x7". I have advised them of the missing weld and they are looking at that for future tanks. I would not get a painted tank, better to work from a bare steel base.View attachment 35100View attachment 35101View attachment 35102View attachment 35103View attachment 35104
could you possibly give an E bay identification number for these tanks. thank you.
stumpy lord

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
I also ordered a steel tank from India painted red. The fit looks surprisingly perfect, the paint isn’t perfect by any means but honestly was surprised by it all.
I think I paid 300is shipped so given that I certainly have no complaints.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Seems that there is a bit of luck involved..... either that or my expectations are unrealistic. Front mount is wide enough that it will have to be
reworked. Right rear corner has an extra large appendage welded onto it and although relatively minor, the fuel tap bungs are at a bit of an angle.

6496DDCA-EBE8-4025-9A25-5D2BEEA9C3A1.jpeg
0BEAC1F7-5AD8-4377-8C88-1859D790DD91.jpeg
9BE343A5-9747-42C3-AF16-07EDAE92B197.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
I find my linisher belt a great help with fitting my original Vincent tanks I can reduce the thickness of the front rubbers if I need to and I also taper one side to help it slide with a wipe of swafega then its an easy slide the tank down to the screw bosses. I also have a socket with a placticened nut inside with an extenson on the ratchet so I can press and turn the securing screws. putting a tank on is easy but you have to have learned to moves

karl johnson

VOC Member
my brother was fixing up a norton commando and taken off the origional tank and buying and fitting an indian tank before selling it.. although i did not see him fit it..on a commando tank the push down cap causes the tank to kink/spring if you press too hard because its thin metal. but looking at the welding at some of the above photos... come on who welded that .......mr magoo...hello quality control.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Another member mentioned it’s kind of a shame that they, in some case are pretty close to being ok and it really wouldn’t take much more to make a really good tank. I have to agree with that. The welding, with the exception of what you see in the photos is ok. The underside in general is just fine. The fellow came across as a little indignant when I mentioned the extra piece at the rear. He said the photos in the ad clearly show that they all come that way. Guess I was just short shipped the appendage on the other side. He refunded me $35. I’ll spend that on stripper to remove whatever coating is on the inside. Has to come out before any welding is done. I’d be inclined to remove it anyway.
Rust treat the inside and reline , but only if it looks like it has to have a liner.