Vins around the Nurburgring

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Who have taken their Vin(s) around the Nurburgring? How many times have you done it (in any vehicle)? What is your best "lap" time on a Vin?

Just curious.

Last edited:

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Fifty four owners took their Vins around the Nurburgring in 1985 at the FIM rally. It was a very slow lap led by my hero Max Deubel on his T.T. outfit. Vincents led the U.K. contingent of motorcyclists, and I led that group on my outfit. We set off at 40kph, but not for long. Primmer had other ideas. I had not travelled close to 500 miles to pootle around this magnificent circuit, so me being me, I waved the group to slow down until the riders in front had disappeared from view. Then we all gave it the gun. As it happened we were approaching the Karousel and flew through there at speed catching up the Spanish group. Sadly my front wheel and sidecar nose managed to sandwich a slow rider between them. However Vincent brakes did the trick and no harm was done, or so I thought. Came the prize giving, where we were awarded several trophies, and a short stout man came up to me and started to rant and wave his finger under my nose getting quite red in the face. I eventually realised that it was Max Deubel and when he drew breath I leapt in explaining that I had not come all this way to ride slowly around the circuit and I was sure as hell that he wouldn't ride round the TT the same way. He started off again wagging his finger, but I could see a twinkle in his eye and with that he shot off shaking his head and muttering something about mad sidecarrists. So, a very slow lap and no recorded times, but it was fun. We all went a lot quicker on the way back to the Hotel Reider, but that's another story. ET43

Len Matthews

VOC Member
During the course of the 1985 FIM Rally dozens of Vincents were ridden round the 14 mile long circuit just once by way of a parade lap, not a speed event. No doubt some of German members have indulged themselves at faster speeds!

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for the feedback so far, I was referring more to the current public access scheme though. For insurance liability reasons, if you would rather not quote speeds or times, that is understood, PM them to me if you like.

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I went round even slower in 1968 with two up, but both feet nearly down as a good bit of the circuit was very icy during an Elephant Rally,we also got home safely, I heard later three didn't !! "broke down" different incidents.
Before I was a bananaman.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Well, I was trying to upload the 1985 Nurburgring decal on Irene's Rap/Stieb...... but I'm too dumb to figure it all out, hell, I couldn't even delete the mistake!

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is the picture John wants to show. It took a few attempts to get it to upload. After the first two failed, I reduced the size, it failed once more, then I renamed the file (based on a suggestion from another forum that also has users reporting problems uploading files), and it finally went through.

DSCN0029x.jpg

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Hi Steve,

Not on a Vincent unfortunately, went round on a BMW K1200S in 2006 in just over 11minutes. For comparison the BMW test rider did it in about 7 minutes 53 secs!
It is an awsome circuit with seemingly never ending bends, it must take years to learn properly.

Regards Bill

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Do yourself a favour, and the emergency services, don't try it! atleast 3casualities per week are scraped up on the northshliefer. Unless you are an experienced international level racer don't mess with one of the most dangerous circuits in the world-now don't say you havent ben warned.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Do yourself a favour, and the emergency services, don't try it! atleast 3casualities per week are scraped up on the northshliefer. Unless you are an experienced international level racer don't mess with one of the most dangerous circuits in the world-now don't say you havent ben warned.
Go round the Isle of Man, instead.