Vincents Racing at Mallory Park 13-04-19

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yesterday I took a day off from putting my Rapide back together and had a day at the BHR Vintage race meeting at Mallory Park, Leicestershire. I had an enjoyable day wandering around the paddock chatting to racing acquaintances from way back when I was involved myself. I found a couple of items of Vincent interest and took a few snaps with my Smartphone. I managed to speak briefly to someone working on the outfit and asked about the cylinder heads. He told me that they had been altered so that the rockers didn't open the valves halfway down the valves like the standard Vincent setup. I presume that the idea was to lighten the valve gear. It seemed to go well and held the lead in front of the very quick Morgan three-wheelers for most of the race but unfortunately expired before the end of the race. I didn't manage to speak to the rider of the Egli Comet.

vibrac

VOC Member
Mr Abraham was next door to Ben and I so I had a lot of time to look
If you look closely you will notice something else the rear cylinder head is reversed which is why the rear carb comes out where it does and the exhaust exits at the rear low down. The heads look different I thought they were Tomos four valve recreation of Irvings drawings but as Eddie says they were top end of valve operated interesting to note how much higher that makes an engine no wonder the conventional guys go for 90 degrees and a long engine and how clever of PVC to keep the height down to build a 50deg compact twin
We were not with the Vincent Comet the ACU ban on Girdraulics still applies there was just one bike in the upto 48 class a Velo and it had the 1970 Egli Vincent for company as for the Girder fork championship, dear old Merve the swerve (Rudge) lead a bevy of old Velos so much for the ACU attempt to improve things -but as Merve said he gets some prize money out of it so at least someone benefits. Ben and his mate Stacey both on Bens identical flying bricks had a fine weekend getting firsts and second each on Saturday and 2 firsts a second and a third on Sunday and getting the course record.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Last time I was at Mallory was with Bob Culver and the Strang It was a very hairy day for Bob, a couple of Formula 1s doing practice the same time.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It was good to meet you @BigEd on Saturday. Thanks for coming over and saying hello.
Good to meet you too. A friend sent me 70 photographs he took in the paddock. I found this one of you doing a few adjustments.
There was also the Quirk/Weston Vincent outfit competing but I didn't stumble across them in the paddock.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Eddy.

It is very hard to see every bike, or outfit, in such a large area.

Regards

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Do we know who runs the 500 Egli ?, Looks good, I wonder how much better a Comet is, Racing with a Norton Gearbox, Cheers Bill.