Vincents - A New Interest For Me

deejay499

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Cyclone and the VOC

Hi Cyclone. I guess that you are in the VOC. Both North and South California have a keen bunch riding their bikes all over the place. It might be worth contacting the organisers and going along to one of their meets, you never know, you may even get a ride. I learnt on a Rapide and Steib in 1962 and thought it would do me for a few years, and have had one ever since. Son-in-law Comet loves his as he said. Deejay 499

syclone

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Odd Man Out on a Harley

Hmm . It appears I would be the odd man out if I appeared @ a VOC function on my HD , kind of a strange turn of events , usually you are the outcast if you ride a JAP bike and show up where the HD boys hang out .. But I'll bet anyone on a Vintage bike such as a Comet or a Rapide would be pretty popular @ any event .. I'll have to do some homework , the only guy I know that has a Vincent locally is Jay Leno , but I am sure there are others , but I have never seen one on the road ...

Jeff

Comet

VOC Member
the important thing is to show up whether you're riding a hog, a dog or a cub (c90) go along and enjoy. You never know where it may lead!

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
odd man out

I bought my first h-d in 1965 for £7-10shillings.a 1942wlc.Since have bougt/traded at least 14 many+various. The vin, bought 2years ago beats the S--t out of milwaukees finest. Also the social scene with vin is not to be beaten. Trust me, you'll love it! Roy.

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Jeff,
I would liken the experience of riding a Vincent for the first time to that of driving my XK150 for the first time. The performance was revolutionary compared to the performance of the other vehicles/motorcycles around at the time. I know I smile every time I ride my machines and the interest from the public is great. I work with many people who ride modern superbikes and they are amazed when you point out that the design features on their machines are in fact the same concepts of a 49 Vincent. Jeff buy one and enjoy, you will not be disappointed. I had to waited 30 years until I could afford one and only wish I had had one in my twenties.

Regards Garry​

syclone

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the note Garry , I have been sidetracked with our wonderful economy this past year and not paid much attention to toys , however @ 58 years old I think it's time I get busy and find a Vincent . Right now is not a great time time financially but really is there ever a good time ?? , ha ha . Again , thanks for the Note

Jeff

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi Syclone. If you want to contact the So Cal VOC section, Email Tom Gross on southerncalif499@voc.uk.com
You may be able to meet up with them sometime and I am sure they will be quite happy to see you on the Harley, and talk Vincents.:D They are a good bunch.
Cheers, deejay499

Last edited:

Bracker1

VOC Member
Hmm, don't know many Vincent owners who'll let their Vincent out for a test ride. The best thing to do is just commit and buy one. Join the club, and if it breaks there is always someone who can lend knowledge and help. I know our section doesn't care if you ride a H-D, car or truck. If you have an interest in Vincents, join the SC section and enjoy yourself. The Vincent is an absolute joy to ride. I wouldn't spend much time in city traffic, it likes the back roads and highways. The only hardship is the 1 hour gas fillups answering questions from people admiring the bike. Finally, I would still rather push my Vincent than ride any other bike (which sometimes happens) Cheers from the North, Dan

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Jeff,

Couple of observations, as a fellow Yank, we tend to like our machines big and long legged. The only disappointment in the purchase of my first one 12 years ago - as a basket case - after years of yearning for one, was how diminutive it was once finished and sitting there upright for the first time on its short 58 inch wheelbase looking no more imposing that a 500 Triumph. But, that perception was soon completely dispeled with my first ride on it...or any Vincent, for that matter. It was (is) the best of both, only 460lbs but rode "big" - firm steering, a slow shifting trans conveying nearly unburstable gear mass within and overall performance which could only be described as effortless, the totally unfair advantage among its contemporaries. A relaxed 70mph lope amidst the strained clatter of similar vintage iron on AMCA Road Runs was almost comical. As a car guy, you'll know what I mean if you've ever owned and driven a 930 in track event DE's. There is absolutely nothing like a well fettled Vincent in old two wheeled iron.

But that's the catch here, if you're throwing a leg over one for the first time after coming off of modern machinery, the profoundness of this machine's uniqueness and superiority will likely not register in the appropriate order of magnitude than if you were coming of years of riding similar vintage iron (Indians, HD's, Ariel's, etc.). I say just get one, if sanely priced and in good condition. Even if the ride later doesn't measure up, dare I mention it in these hallowed halls here, you're not likely to grow tired of staring at it parked (preferably in a warm house) as a sublime example of two wheeled engineering art.

Alan J

VOC Member
Speedo"s

Never trust a Smiths instrument!! all of them are 10 per cent fast!! but better than a"vaguely" Veglia!!