Vincents - A New Interest For Me

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
speedometers

You should not be looking at the 5'' peice of junk on your top yoke! What you should be doing is looking where you are going! If you must look at the pesky thing, look at it on evil-bay, and laugh. they make more than they are worth. never mind the speed do as I do- ride to the conditions and the machine's capabilities-sod all the others! Be lucky out there Roy.

John Cone

VOC Member
Has anyone ever wandered, why is it when you are travelling throught roadworks on the motorways and the speed limit is 50mph that when trucks start to overtake you glance at your speedo and think mad ----ard. the answer is that truck speedos have to be re-calbrated every 2 years to a degree of + or- 2km per hour as do the Tachograph clocks which has a tolerance of + or - 1.5 minutes after 2 years. Since 1991 car speedos have been deliberatey been reading fast. The manufactures did this to prevent them being caught up in legal actions in speeding cases. At an indicated 70mph in most modern cars the true speed 67mph, at 50mph it's 48mph. Having spent some time in a past life fitting and calibrating truck speedos/tachographs i have used the equipment to test my own motocycle speedos and i can say they mostly give an overspeed reading. It's almost like the anglers tale of it was that big, or i was going that fast!

Alan J

VOC Member
speedos!!

Spot on Vin 988- I've got bicycle speedos on 3 of my bikes-they are the dogs b----ks to coin a phrase!!:confused::confused::confused:

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I dont think you would have bought a road worthy rapide for £200 in 1975 I have been riding them for 50 years and bought my last rapide with no Mot in about 73 for £550.
"Keep wearing em out"