FT: Frame (Twin) Vincent wheel balance weights for show quality restoration - FT182

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone tried not balancing the wheels? I'd never bothered until about 4 years ago when someone noticed my Egli front wheel hunting for the heavy point when I put it on the stand (stand lifted the front wheel). I bought weights which looked bad, and fell off, then used a church roof worth of lead wrapped round several spokes. The only difference I noticed was the ugly weights, so I took them off again, with no difference in handling I could notice.

H

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
When run out of balance, tyres tend to go out of round by wearing a 'flat spot' where the wheel throws itself to the ground. Subsequent balancing won't resolve an out-of-round tyre. The front wheel seems to be more sensitive to imbalance over a particular speed range depending upon many complex factors.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I bought a Comet some years ago and it was un-ride able. First it had a 21 in front WM2 with a 4:10 21 on it. It had Norton handle bars about 4 in wider that Vincent ones just so you could turn it, but the worst was the rear tyre. A WM2 19 with an appropriate tyre, but as one approached about 50 mph the whole rear wheel bounced so hard it left the ground. First I asked the seller about the front tyre and was informed that 20 in tyres were impossible to get so hence the 21, and when asked about run out when lacing the rims was told that anything close to 1/8 inch was acceptable.
I laced a 20 on the front and trued it to less than 15 thou both ways, installed a 20 tyre and cut 2 inched off each end of the bars, and then tackled the rear. It was well out of round and having corrected that, set it on the bench, for it to immediately roll off down the bench. After several tests it was obvious that the wheel itself was well out of balance (an original Dunlop). Never the less I fitted the tyre back on and set up to balance it. Several spokes of solder later all was well and when returned to that machine it all rolled down the road very smoothly and I could even turn the front wheel.

I could have left out the whole story and just quoted Dan Smith who says about every component on a motorcycle.....If it rotates, balance it.

Howard

VOC Member
I must have rubber mounted arms. :D I ride in traffic, country roads at 60 mph (officer) and motorways at 70 mph (yeah right) and I've used it on track days at Cadwell and Mallory. Everything says I should balance the wheels except my usual theory "if it ain't broke ......" I just use a prop stand now, so no one knows it's not balanced. I do have tyres on my Hondas balanced when they're fitted at the shop, but I fit tyres on my Vins myself.

H

Viny4

VOC Member
I throughout that everybody new, the Vincent wheel weights were made from recycled Wine Bottle Sleeves.

alan wright

VOC Member
If they are the old style steel rims, I think it would be a mistake not to use a security bolt, The alloy rims have much more grip on the tyre, Cheers Bill.
When Bob Culver rebuilt my wheels he insisted on safety bolts. A rear blow out at 65 mph on the M23 would have probably killed us if the bike had "fishtailed" between two lines of traffic. It didn't !!
Bob also makes ( or made) original type factory wheel weights, also fitted to my rims. Years ago I was warned off of using solder as the flux in it will find it's way out will eat alloy and /or chrome plate and black paint with nice red lines at the edges !!
Regards, Alan

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry, I wasn't operating the scale correctly, my wife sorted me out on the procedure. Also, I took off a smaller weight that has been on the front rim since the '50s.

The 4 weights I have are 35, 70, 88, and 108 grams, 1.23, 2.46, 3.10, and 3.81 ounces.

Here are pictures of the smallest of the 3 above, plus the even smaller one off the rim.

IMG_1650.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG

Albervin

VOC Member
Sometimes you need to just think a bit. If you need that much weight then how about moving the tyre around the rim??? I have tried this with other tyres; moving the tyre 90º around the rim and reducing weights. Once, on a Vincent rear wheel I reduced the balance weight from 85g to 15g by rotating the tyre. Oh, and I have spent a sh*tload of cash on my "new" Shadow and flogged it already on the highways and byways of the UK with just the usual cautionary inspection of rotating parts. All excellent except for depletion in oil level which will soon be addressed back here in cold Wollongong . This incessant need for originality is a waste of time. Sorry but after 35 years it is the miles that bring the smiles.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Sometimes you need to just think a bit. If you need that much weight then how about moving the tyre around the rim??? I have tried this with other tyres; moving the tyre 90º around the rim and reducing weights. Once, on a Vincent rear wheel I reduced the balance weight from 85g to 15g by rotating the tyre. Oh, and I have spent a sh*tload of cash on my "new" Shadow and flogged it already on the highways and byways of the UK with just the usual cautionary inspection of rotating parts. All excellent except for depletion in oil level which will soon be addressed back here in cold Wollongong . This incessant need for originality is a waste of time. Sorry but after 35 years it is the miles that bring the smiles.
I had the same problem with a Bridgestone Battlaxe, by rotating it 180 degs I was able to shed a bunch of balance weight. I then noticed a yellowish spot on the sidewall where the heavy point of the tyre was. Is this coincidence or is it a balancing mark? Cheers, Stu.