FT: Frame (Twin) Vincent wheel balance weights for show quality restoration - FT182

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
November 2013 and where and who supplies original style Vincent lead wheel weights?
FT182 balance weight - 2oz
FT182/1 balance weight - 3oz
FT183/2 balance weight - 6oz
FT182/3 balance weight - 7oz
i am not looking to just get the job done, i need well produced, original style wheel weights.
Thanks
Craig

Oldhaven

VOC Member
A question to ease my possibly unjustified paranoia. If I don't use the security bolt and balance weight holes in my original rear 19 rim, will the tube and rim band be hurt by the slight loss of support where the empty holes are? I would not have worried about this but I can see the rim band has a very slight convexity in the holes. I would really rather not use the original security bolt, since I remember it made tire changes much more difficult, and it is so easy to use weight on the spokes where it is most needed.

Ron

hadronuk

VOC Member
Sorry to be negative, but I would not take the risk. If you hit a big bump at speed, heavily loaded with a hot tyre, the peak pressure could be much higher than usual and the rim tape and tube will also be softer when hot. How about gaffer taping some thin ally sheet under the rim tape?
Rob

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If they are the old style steel rims, I think it would be a mistake not to use a security bolt, The alloy rims have much more grip on the tyre, Cheers Bill.

Viny4

VOC Member
I always thought that the wheel weights were made from recycled Vintage Wine lead shields that PV drank.

vibrac

VOC Member
They also say Stevenage parish church roof leaked, you cant believe all you hear:)

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Came across these while looking for a different part someone recently asked about. It seems I have one each of 3 of the sizes.

IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1520.JPG

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
My Prince came to me with the front wheel balanced with solder, wheel weights and brass nuts, when I fitted a new tyre I thought that they wouldn't be needed, but they are all still there.
Modern solder doesn't seem to be as heavy as the old lead stuff.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
My Prince came to me with the front wheel balanced with solder, wheel weights and brass nuts, when I fitted a new tyre I thought that they wouldn't be needed, but they are all still there.
Modern solder doesn't seem to be as heavy as the old lead stuff.

You're right. When I changed tires a couple of years back I landed up balancing mine with the original weights still in place and used some Triumph weights to figure out where and how much was needed elsewhere. Then I replaced the Triumph weights with solder. I worked out how much the solder weighed per inch and cut it to the appropriate length. It seemed an awful lot. Then I realized that it was the low lead/no lead solder now used so it is made up of tin and copper which have about 3/4 the density as lead.
Steven

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Had an opportunity to weigh the 3 weights I show above. The scale shows 12, 16, and 18 grams, or 0.42, 0.56, and 0.63 oz.