FT: Frame (Twin) Vincent wheel balance weights for show quality restoration - FT182

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That's what I did,I piled lots of old nuts on the studs to balance the wheel, weighed them on the wife's kitchen scales then turned off some S/S round bar to the same weight. Job done. Incidently, a brand new Avon 300x20 Speedmaster needed a lot of weight to correct the unbalance-anyone else come across this?

Same problem with an 18" Roadrider on the front of my Egli. I used quite a large chunk of lead flashing wrapped round a spoke when the usual stick on weights wouldn't balance it!!

H

craig

VOC Member
Bob indicated he might make some in a month or two.
Are there some fishing weight lead or vintage gun miniball casting people who could take on this task?
What die would be required? blueprint?
Bob Culver is your man

1660bob

VOC Member
Yep, I`m in that game at present, and I went for the full security bolt/ balance bolt set up with a new Avon 3.00 x 20.Using nuts and washers/kitchen scale to check, I was surprised at how much weight it takes to balance the wheel with security bolt fitted- I got to 106 Grms on each of the balance bolts.That makes for a lot of ironwork around the rim, beginning to wish I had not bothered with the security bolt now......Bob.

ossie

VOC Member
I cant belive all this about these lead weights do you actually ride the bike or is it just a part of the furniture in your house
paint peeling big end rumbling owner for 47 years.
OSSIE

ossie

VOC Member
I take it no comment,
stop smiling mr chapman yes ive just returned from the pub.
e.l.essex motto use it and abuse it before you are to old.
OSSIE.
MAYBE A USE IT AND ABUSE IT SECTION.?????

1660bob

VOC Member
Of course its easy to use your Vincent if you are lucky enough to have had ownership of a functional bike for 47 years, no doubt I would have enjoyed it enormously. But me, i was very lucky indeed to have the opportunity to pay well,well over £10000 for a basket case and have spent the last six years spending comfortably in excess of £20000 to sort it out to get it to a functional standard (so far- and that`s a conservative estimate). I still have a way to go, but I will stay the course and return another Vincent to the road, content in the knowledge that the sums I have spent all help further the development and production of spares for us all.I would call that dedicated determination to eventually ride it, not furniture polishing!!!
New owners have no choice,these days Vincent ownership does not come easy or cheap, if it did, we would ALL be thundering round with peeling paint and rumbling cranks. How I would love to be able to jump on the kickstart and wear out the big end, but until the bike is finished, not possible, and with the levels of expenditure necessary,it follows that the job has to wait for funds, and has to be done properly,lead weights `n all.
So C`mon, let`s hear it, a big "UP" for ALL those trying to hit the road on a Vincent, as the song says: "can`t you see I`m workin` on it", Best Regards, Bob Cottam