Vincent valve cover query

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyBristol

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just received this Valve Cover as a memento of my Dad’s Rapide C Series which he sold in 1960 and which is alive and kicking in Sweden. I have never seen a threaded hole in the front of a cover like this one has, does anyone know what it is or why it’s there ?
07C3EFA5-02D6-424F-84F5-8E3252EAB1E7.jpeg

JennyBristol

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would say it was set up as a sort of elephant breather on a rocker.
Hi, thanks for your quick reply, my husband thought it might be some sort of connection for an auxiliary oil supply pipe or something like that, we’re not lucky enough to have personal experience of Vincent ownership. We do have experience of the PNW we have relatives in Bellingham and have visited many times, such a lovely area of the world.

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have one also, however mine is a shallow cap. Primary case breather I imagine.

Attachments

• 20200219_180539 (2).jpg
    20200219_180539 (2).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7

vibrac

VOC Member
For my sins I have drilled many of these putting extra breathers on the bike was a frequent occupation of sixties Vincent ownership. What was often needed instead was a new set of rings or a pair of those new fangled kempaloid low ex pistons(•‿•)

brian gains

VOC Member
so there were shallow caps and deep caps, this site is always an h'edukayshun.
Out of interest, what years and reason.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Shallow caps for the kickstart cover and the primary cover on the twins. Deep for the rockers.

JennyBristol

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
so there were shallow caps and deep caps, this site is always an h'edukayshun.
Out of interest, what years and reason.
All I know is that Dad’s Rapide was produced on the 10th October 1950 and dispatched from the factory on the following day. We ere given the cap as a momento by the current Swedish owner. The cap came with a box of spare parts when he bought the bike so we don’t know if this item was ever used on Dads old Vincent. We have been told that it is a valve cap, it’s approx 2 1/8 “ diameter x 1 1/4 “ high including the threaded portion. We were puzzled by the small threaded hole in the cap as all the Vincents we have ever seen have plain valve caps, hence this query on the form

Cyborg

VOC Member
The factory eventually made their own version. Please keep the PNW a secret. Actually it's a horrible rainy place overrun by folks in the witness protection act.

D breather 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.