Vincent Tools

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Vincent chewed a front exhaust pushrod a couple of years ago and my beloved came and picked me up in our van, but you wouldn't have fixed that leaving all the alloy in the timing chest. The Norvin killed a battery a few years ago but you have to take the back wheel out to get to that and it only has a side stand, anyway I wasn't riding it at the time, a mate was so he just jumped on the back of me and we fetched the van, the 1150 burnt a plug out 10 years ago which is why I needed to sort the carb. Other than that, I seem to remember a clutch cable breaking on one of my Triumphs about '98 and it threw a rod in 1996, Ok I'm just lucky I guess although I do remember a period in the 70s when I seemed to get a puncture almost every week !!

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Dear All,
Speaking of tools, has anyone ever made up a tool for holding measuring pins and the half time pinion whilst measuring them with a micrometer? Yes I know it can be done with rubber bands but its fiddly especially when measuring multiple pinions. I have a few ideas but no use reinventing the wheel so to speak.
Phelps.

litnman

VOC Member
I made the stand to get the engine off my work bench. The bakers tray found a new home as well.

Vincent Eng stand1.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
What keeps the motor from rotating down? Also, I assume the different shape of the G50 is for various high-speed reasons? :D

377_TWIN_PIVOT_BEARING_PLATE_thumb.JPG

litnman

VOC Member
The G50 butts tight to the stands mounting plate. It is .375 thick and will carry an outboard bearing shaft support so the sprocket
can be moved out to clear the wider tire.

litnman

VOC Member
My engine stand in post 27 is the correct height for adding RFM and UFM while on the bike stand. No more lifting for me.
The plates on the engine shown require 3" blocking to get it to the correct height to add the LSR frame.

davidd

VOC Member
Pat Manning dragged out an interesting tool to do wrist pin bushes in situ.
DSCN2837.jpg

This tool is used to remove the worn wrist pin. It has a long and a short side. I think you start with the short side and then use the long side to finish.
DSCN2831.jpg

Another tool can be inserted over two studs and held in place by two tubes and some head nuts.
DSCN2833.jpg

This is a top down view of one of the reamers at work.
DSCN2835.jpg

The con rod is held securely by two eccentrics which can be turned in place and then locked.

David