Optional corkscrew if visiting Canada
K1.jpg

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The K1 spanner obtainable from any Vincent spares supplier
Optional corkscrew if visiting Canada
View attachment 13506
I think Dag is intimating that the standard pressed from sheet K1 could be improved upon. Thirty years ago, when Cousin Ian (McCully) was running the NZ Spares Scheme, he sold me a K1 which he insisted was made of superior material the the factory originals & also recommended shortening the tangs to reduce their tendency to straighten. I recently purchased another from V3 because they are advertised as being superior material etc. Grinding the tangs of both on a bench grinder, the sparks to indicate that they are probably a reasonable grade of carbon steel adequately heat treated.
The only improvement I could suggest is to machine one out of a solid piece of high tensile steel.:)

A_HRD

VOC Member
The other improvement would be to machine another set of slots in to your pushrod tube nuts before fitting them (total 8 slots - but 6 would probably do if you are machining them from scratch). On Twins it is often impossible to fit the K1 to a pair of slots because of fouling the rear exhaust pipe.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I think Dag is intimating that the standard pressed from sheet K1 could be improved upon. Thirty years ago, when Cousin Ian (McCully) was running the NZ Spares Scheme, he sold me a K1 which he insisted was made of superior material the the factory originals & also recommended shortening the tangs to reduce their tendency to straighten. I recently purchased another from V3 because they are advertised as being superior material etc. Grinding the tangs of both on a bench grinder, the sparks to indicate that they are probably a reasonable grade of carbon steel adequately heat treated.
The only improvement I could suggest is to machine one out of a solid piece of high tensile steel.:)

Like these ? Been using one for 35 year
Ends.jpg
s.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Come on Trev' Where is the rest of it ?, There must be a Handle ??, Cheers Bill.
You already have it, simply rivet, weld or bolt on this replacement. The idea of having a spare is my philosophy of always being prepared, for example I always carried a spare tube AND a puncture outfit, thus I never had a puncture in over 40 years of Vincent riding.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I noticed when I first started riding that no matter what tools etc I had it was always something else that was needed, I eventually realised that if I carried none I was still in the same postion, so that's what I have done, the tools in the Vincent tool tray are there because they were in when I got it and the one in my Brough 11.50 is an 18mm plug spanner as I needed it to help get the carb set up 10 years ago.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Chris, Does this mean you never break down ?, Or do you have a good phone and lots of friends with Vans. Me, I carry as much as I can get in the tank bag !!, Just in case !!. Cheers Bill.