Vincent Tools

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From the stone axe school of motorcycle repair here are:

The A2 bar I used to straighten a bent UFM and check alignment
A homemade broach used to clean up a buggered kickstart spline. I did make one capable of cutting new splines, but passed it on years ago.
A BF nut and bolt used to correct minor flywheel misalignment, a partner to the BF lead hammer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
How do you use this?
It's the plastic top off a welding rod tube. Cut down the side and top to fit round the oil tank neck, secured with parcel tape (nice and thin). Cut the bottom to match the angle the neck of the UFM. Position over the neck and slide the tank over it when removing and refitting. It took longer to write this than to make it and it works really well.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Good idea. I use a couple of wraps of duct tape, but if I find a plastic tube with the right diameter, I'll copy this.

craig

VOC Member
I need ideas for a better timing disc/wheel. I have a disc I have been using for years , friction fit in the quill hole...but I am wanting a better fit , on center ... maybe there are better designs or?
20150209_CamTimingComet.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
I saw tonight that Vocspares list K36, K36-1 and K36-kit which are timing discs and friction spindles. If you modify your spindle it is possible to run the disc inboard of the exhaust allowing a shorter, more rigid pointer. Vibrac screws his short pointer into the banjo hole.

craig

VOC Member
Thanks BK, I ordered such.
Can a dial indicator be used for TDC?
Is so, where is a robust Vincent unit available.
anyone have details about such a unit on a Vincent twin please?
Why is there not a digital system of equipment to accurately time Vincent cams.
Some sort of large serrated disc that reads crank degrees, while logging data from two or four valve tip indicators?
Just a thought in my frustration over accurate cam timing.
digicamphoto.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
Think about it Craig. There are few degrees near to TDC where the piston hardly moves up and down at all. Some simple geometry will tell you how much but that will ignore slop and wear in various places. Yes, you could use a dial gauge and in the olden days people were even known to use a bubble over the spark plug hole. If you want it right, as opposed to nearly right, then find TDC with a piston stop that works well down the bore before and after TDC and then split the difference to set up your zero.