Vincent Tools

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
DSC02495.JPG
This was posted before, but this is a nice place to collect everything together. This is a tool made by Mike Parti, for removing the cylinder/muff, avoiding the danger of breaking a fin.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
for removing the cylinder/muff, avoiding the danger of breaking a fin.
It probably will be obvious as soon as you explain, but at the moment I can't picture how it works. What is the reason for the slit, and what do the two bolts/nuts/studs do? Is the flat spot at the ~8:00 position significant, or was it there in the scrap piece of metal used to make the tool?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
The short bolt expands the disc against the cylinder wall, the longer bolt is just a handle. Once the disc is in place, use the piston to push it up.
Ah, now it makes sense. Thank you. So, I'm guessing that, rather than being a tapered bolt, the hole for the short bolt is only tapped part way to provide a taper against which the bolt pushes(?).

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A pair of bushings to slip over the cam spindles with an OD a hair bigger than the cam base circles would be handy to adjust the valve lifters.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
My contribution to this thread is the following:
ViincentTools001.jpg

(note: the photo doesn't show up in the preview but a link to it does; apologies in advance if the image is missing)

When I got my Vincent in the early '90s I also put together a pretty complete collection of M.P.H. as well as all books and manuals. Whenever I ran across the description of a special tool in any of that material I made it in preparation for use in what may be the world's slowest restoration...

Having not used most of these tools I don't know yet whether some might be useless, unneeded, or better replaced with something else. With that disclaimer in mind, proceeding from top to bottom and left to right the identification I wrote on the tools when I made them are:

Rear spring claw removal wrench
7/8" x 8" rod for locking engine (through small end of con rod)
0.755" straightening clamp for UFM
ESA nut removal sprag
5/16" tapered rod for mounting degree wheel
0.36" ID x 0.44" OD valve guide removal drift
1.6" ID clamp for flanging front exhaust pipe
Peen for steering damper disc
(2) 3-1/2" rods for spindle assembly
Oil pump removal slide hammer
7/8" expanding mandrel for gearbox bearing removal (and adapter for slide hammer)
Half-time pinion puller
9-hole ESA spanner

Not shown (because I forgot to take a photo of it this morning) is a large Al plate with appropriate spacers for mounting the UFM on an engine stand to allow it to be rotated through 360-deg. Also not shown are special tools that I could purchase (e.g. valve guide lockring tool).

greg brillus

VOC Member
Magnetoman you have an impressive collection of special tools there.......I still can't work out what the bottom one is for though.....It looks like it sits over the clutch carrier pins, but I don't know why you would need to.....Just asking a simple one......Cheers ...........Greg.