Vincent Spanners

mr.hutch

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was recently shown a well used and rather ancient double ended ring spanner, that was stamped with the name Vincent within a horizontal diamond. Was it anything to do with my bike, I was asked?

I was unable to say, as it has no place in the standard tool kit, if it was in fact a product of the Stevenage works at all.

Can anyone help please, I will pass on any info. to a non member.

mr.hutch

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I tend to agree with David Bowen purely on the evidence that the Vincent (Stevenage) works had their forged items bought in from various factors such as Smith's Stamping Works.I have a complete set of these ring spanners 1/8"W to 1/2"W.They are sturdily made, but not in the same class as King Dick or Tipco-which are really worth having. They aren't half good for a leg-pull with some of the originality goons, though!

Englishman

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Chankly Bore,
I agree with the spanners being made by "another" Vincent,they look more like a really solid War Dept type job to me,solid,but without the slick/bling Snap On look,durable I would call them. I do like your idea of the "leg pull" with the A.... retentive bods though,very good.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
This matter has been aired before. Some Ebay sellers think they have a Vincent toolkit spanner but they haven't. I'm told that when Vincents wanted to change their trading title to Vincent Engineering Ltd. it was discovered that a firm in Scotland already was using it therefore they chose "Vincent Engineers (Stevenage) Ltd. to avoid any confusion. It is suggested that the Vincent branded spanners were made by the Scottish concern.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Living within a reserve tank of Stevenage I see that there is a hire van company at Stevenage called "Vincent van hire" any connections? or coincidental?

Albervin

VOC Member
There was also a Vincent coachbuilding company located in Reading, I think. At one stage there were several Vincent Pharmacies in Australia (mine) :).....

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There was, at least in Australia,a well-known analgesic powder which had as their advertising slogan "Take Vincents with confidence" This ,sadly,was misinterpreted by some of the Speedway fraternity.