Vincent Series D Black Shadow

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hot on the heels of the Du Pont Shadow another very low mileage Shadow pops ups on Ebay for 45K, the only problem being it states in the blurb that the mileage on the 5 inch speedometer is 13K and alludes to fact that is correct, very low miles for 60 years, only problem being to the best of my knowledge this model left the factory with a 3 inch speedometer with a Black Shadow transfer diagonally across the tank. I wonder how many miles the the original speedometer had on it before it was replaced, am I being cynical? surely not!

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Sure has a lot of mods for only 13K. C front stands, C mag cover, no front fender stand, bantam gaiters, wrong headlight, wrong speedo, rebuilt seat, probably lots more.
You'd be far better off with Vinny Long Legs.
Cheers, John

deejay499

VOC Member
The original speedo looks like it is still there and are they Rapide brake drums? Best to check the No.s to make sure it is a Shadow.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The original speedo looks like it is still there and are they Rapide brake drums? Best to check the No.s to make sure it is a Shadow.

Dave, I'm not too sure about the brakes or, that headlamp being the original..... where is the good old "Red Dot" ammeter? It does have the nice embossed oil tank, but where is the rubber rear spring gaiter? :confused:

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
It is not original and not untouched. Deceptive and misleading advertising. Probably because they are just writing what they are told by the vendor. The trade practices commission in Australia would have a field day with this. Maybe there should be a sign on the bike "Do Not Touch"! Yup, as cynical as Peter Holmes. A friend bought a very presentable but mechanically challenged D Shadow last year for the equivalent of £30K, not sure this bike is even worth that....

A_HRD

VOC Member
Also very telling are the oil-stains on the floor beneath the engine in all the usual places. And there appears to be a leak twixt head and cylinder on the front. This offering would appear to need an extensive restoration to make it an original-looking and reliable motorcycle.

Let the Buyer Beware!

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK.

Vfxdog

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello chaps- that's my bike. Engine number begins F10AB/2B/...

Oil spots are from my C series Shadow which had been sitting where the D was photographed.

The eBay seller is acting on my behalf but the description is all theirs. There is no way anyone could think this is a 13000 mile bike. eBay is not the easiest place to employ caveats.

I haven't been able to source the correct gaiters for front or rear and just checked today to see if VOCS stock them, but could not find them on the site.

Guess the new owner could replace the mag cover with the correct item and sell the cast cover for a tidy profit...

This bike had one owner before me, according to the buff log book.

Thanks for all the input.