Misc: Everything Else Vincent Seat Stay, Rod Length

Avery

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,

I bought a Comet a number of years ago with odd seat stays, one had a rod length of 5 inches and the other a rod length of 4.5 inches, which was a bit rougher looking without the rivet heads being polished off which leads me to think this shorter length would belong to an earlier model..... would anyone be able to confirm this.

Thank you

20200301_172843.jpg

Last edited:

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just measured all of mine. 5". The ones on my B are SS stamped with the part number, these were the earlier type. I think the only variations were the holes in the cotton reels, when the early units were fastened by a 2 BA screw.

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Looks like an owner modification where somebody has either cut them down by 1/2" or fitted shorter shafts and so correct length shafts will need fitting.
The rivet has been replaced as well with a different head shape which is wrong.

Looking at the parts books and the number for this item, there is no /1 version etc so there was no early or later version, just the same throughout production.

Avery

Forum User
VOC Member
The seat stays were on when I bought the machine over 20 years ago, I replaced them both as I didn't know which was the correct one and I didn't care much for the lop sided seat :) It is an old modification and extremely well done but I have no idea why they should be shortened by 1/2 inch on one side only!

Cheers :)