Vincent Reading Materiel

Stacks

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I bought my pride & joy, a 1954 Series C Comet, earlier this year following several months saving whilst in Iraq and Afghanistan. In between rain it’s been a great summer, but I’m due back in Afghan shortly and prepping the bike for winter storage. As a remainder of what I’ve got to look forward to I’m after a couple of Vincent books to keep me occupied whilst away. I’ve got the instruction manual and spares catalogue, but am looking for more of an entertaining read and finding it hard to choose from the range on offer – any suggestions?

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I bought my pride & joy, a 1954 Series C Comet, earlier this year following several months saving whilst in Iraq and Afghanistan. In between rain it’s been a great summer, but I’m due back in Afghan shortly and prepping the bike for winter storage. As a remainder of what I’ve got to look forward to I’m after a couple of Vincent books to keep me occupied whilst away. I’ve got the instruction manual and spares catalogue, but am looking for more of an entertaining read and finding it hard to choose from the range on offer – any suggestions?

"Vincent Motorcycles" by Paul Richardson (former Service Manager at Stevenage) , "Vincent from 1938" by Cyril Ayton and "Vincent-HRD" by Peter Carrick. The Richardson book is available from VOC spares Co. The other two are probably out of print but maybe your library can help.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Books

A very useful little book (booklet) with more information than its size would suggest, is VINCENT-HRD Motorcycles 1947 to 1955 published by 'Motor Cycle', the magazine publisher, and later published by 'Bruce Main-Smith and Co. Ltd.' It was actually written by Bruce Main-Smith, a one time stalwart Vincent Owner and Club member who was also a staff writer for 'Motor Cycle'.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If you are looking for an entertaining read with lots of Vincent background see if you can get a copy of Phil Irving's biography. It is out of print but you might be able to beg, borrow or steal one. Here's a review someone posted on amazon.

"In Phils easy to read, yet interesting and informative, writing style we are given an insight into his very active life. Phils knowledge and experience in the motorcycle industry in Australia and in the United Kingdom from the 1920's to the 50's is unbelievable. If you love The Vincent HRD, you can only love this book. Phil also has a fair bit to do with AJS, Velocette and other motor bikes in the glory days of British motorcycles. PEI was a very talented motorcycle engineer who also worked with racing motor cars getting an Australian onto the world champions podium. Phil made his writings on engineering readable and interesting to the non engineer. Phil didn't suffer fools and you will not be a fool to read this book and I'm sure your knowledge will be considerably enhanced when you complete it."

Regards,
Eddy.

lindie

Non-VOC Member
A very useful little book (booklet) with more information than its size would suggest, is VINCENT-HRD Motorcycles 1947 to 1955 published by 'Motor Cycle', the magazine publisher, and later published by 'Bruce Main-Smith and Co. Ltd.' It was actually written by Bruce Main-Smith, a one time stalwart Vincent Owner and Club member who was also a staff writer for 'Motor Cycle'.

is there a long term copyright issue on this one? i have a copy and scanned all the pages. it's 57 mb at present but i'm sure someone with more nouse than i could make that a far more liveable size in some other format.

opinions welcomed.

Albervin

VOC Member
is there a long term copyright issue on this one? i have a copy and scanned all the pages. it's 57 mb at present but i'm sure someone with more nouse than i could make that a far more liveable size in some other format.

opinions welcomed.
Up until 2 weeks ago I had 2 mint copies. Can't remember where & when I bought them but it must have been in the last 4 or 5 years. Maybe Morton Publishing can help?

John Cone

VOC Member
Stacks

Apart from keeping your eyes peeled for the enemy and staying safe, watch out for any Vincent bits laying around. while out in Belize in the 80's and before i got into Vincents I spotted one or two bits from a twin laying in the bondue. (spelling). At the time I didn't know what they were but sure wished i'd picked them up.

tedeye

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Bruce Main-Smith

I have been looking for a copy of this book, do you know where I might get to one? Tedeye