Vincent Racing Calendar

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
watching Ben race the comet for years in company with all the rest on ridged rear ends the only time it came into its own in handling terms was in the wet
pic170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Still racking up the miles on mine, can't fault the steering but I feel it needs a more progressive damper than the old Koni (although I haven't tried adjusting it) undulations, bumps and hard braking are great, it's just potholes or sharp edges (grates etc) hitting them the front just feels rigid and transfers the shock to your arms.
I hit one bump (and it wasn't a speed hump) last week and the front rode it but the back end bottomed out !!

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes. no. 25 was the Rudge. There were several Rudges there and on the Friday I mentioned to some of the crew that a certain VOC member was getting new cylinder heads made for them. They seemed interested so if you want to try to recoup some of the money which has been laid out it might be worthwhile trying to contact them.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes. no. 25 was the Rudge. There were several Rudges there and on the Friday I mentioned to some of the crew that a certain VOC member was getting new cylinder heads made for them. They seemed interested so if you want to try to recoup some of the money which has been laid out it might be worthwhile trying to contact them.

Thanks. Both Mike Farrall and Tony Perkin (who owns and races the Rudge Special that was at Goodwood) know me.

davidd

VOC Member
This is a repost of Greg Brillus' outing at Brisbane this past weekend. It went very well until it did not, near the end:

P1010213.jpg

P1010214.jpg

P1010215.jpg

P1010216.jpg

I added the two photos of the springs.

I am still suspicious that the cam turned in the pinion.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
Interesting that Greg seem to be still using double helical springs rather than beehive type, I think that Terry's cams give a lot of lift and I just wonder whether it was a spring that failed first.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I am guessing the springs failed first but not necessarily at the same time. It is hard to see in the photo's but the springs were quite rusty from trapped condensation within the valve caps. I would say this is due to the moisture absorbing characteristics of castor oil and Methanol fuel. It was only on the inlets and not the exhausts, suggesting that the extra heat from the exhaust side of the head is enough to retard the condensation build up. I will need to somehow vent the caps so this does not reoccur, given the location of the caps under the UFM it is something I should have checked earlier I guess. I certainly jinxed myself, as I have always maintained to everyone how reliable the machine has always been, but luckily the damage is only superficial and easily fixed. I had put some location marks from the cam to the wheel, and these look to be still in alignment. I removed the barrel from the piston that got clipped by the valve, and it all looks fine, so I would say the cam copped the brunt of the shock load through the valve train. I have replaced the springs and reassembled the heads ready to refit to the engine, and I will replace the cams/followers in the next few days, as I don't want the bike in bits for very long.