Vincent powered hillclimb car

Phil H

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I came across a 1963 motorsport film on Youtube. At one point it shows a Vincent powered hillclimb car. The difference is that it is front engined and FWD. The motor is back-to-front. The question that occurs to me is this: is the drive rotation reversed between the gearbox ant the final drive, or did the engine run in reverse (tricky but I guess do-able). Or maybe a pair of idler gears replaced the primary chain. The car is at 4 min 35 sec. Has anyone else come across this one?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With a blower!!

The diff could be flipped over, I believe, to accomplish the reversal.

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I came across a 1963 motorsport film on Youtube. At one point it shows a Vincent powered hillclimb car. The difference is that it is front engined and FWD. The motor is back-to-front. The question that occurs to me is this: is the drive rotation reversed between the gearbox ant the final drive, or did the engine run in reverse (tricky but I guess do-able). Or maybe a pair of idler gears replaced the primary chain. The car is at 4 min 35 sec. Has anyone else come across this one?

Re: Graham’s enquiry, I refreshed this post and YouTube film, the Vincent hill climb car makes an appearance at 4.39.