Vincent powered F3 (?) Car

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This was in the July issue of Vintage Motorsport, an auto racing magazine:

F3 998cc010.jpg

The caption says 500cc, but the motor is a twin. I wrote in and the editor felt the author was right. I sent this link for his inspection http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/cooper/1069620454/1069620454lf.htm

No answer yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

nobby

VOC Member

davidd

VOC Member
Thanks Bruce. The photo in the link is the George Abacaisis (sp?) Cooper that was owned by David Cooper and which he sold a few years ago. I knew that Bob Said raced in F3, but I never have seen the photo. The car in the photo is an Effyh.

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The front intake rocker inspection cap and two exhaust pipes are visible, so I think it is a full 998cc.

davidd

VOC Member
Bruce kindly sent me the article and I thought I would post the photo because it is an interesting installation:

David

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Nice photo,
Thanks for this bigger one David,
The pipes diameter is not too narrow compared to a road going Lightning "normal" set up? may be a different choiche of tunig for car application.
The litte tank is for gas?? looks little, may be the tank gas is somewhere down under and this is extra oiling? or brake fluid if hydraulic (but quite big and no need to stay warm) or other?
The middle rear tube of the UFM appear to have the cut for the rear shock, so this should be a post 49 Series C, so if the UFM and engine are from the same bike, or is a early C Lightning with front and rear head or a later shadow.
What do you reckon?
Mr Boris "Bob" Said looks very happy! who wouldn't!
The wereabout of this machine are know?
Eddie

davidd

VOC Member
Nice photo,
Thanks for this bigger one David,
The pipes diameter is not too narrow compared to a road going Lightning "normal" set up? may be a different choiche of tunig for car application.
The litte tank is for gas?? looks little, may be the tank gas is somewhere down under and this is extra oiling? or brake fluid if hydraulic (but quite big and no need to stay warm) or other?
The middle rear tube of the UFM appear to have the cut for the rear shock, so this should be a post 49 Series C, so if the UFM and engine are from the same bike, or is a early C Lightning with front and rear head or a later shadow.
What do you reckon?
Mr Boris "Bob" Said looks very happy! who wouldn't!
The wereabout of this machine are know?
Eddie

Eddie,

I think the engines were delivered without pipes to the car manufacturers and it looks like they may be 1-3/4", which seems like a good choice. Like you, I think the little tank might be for fuel, but only if it is being supplied from a larger tank with an electric pump. The F3 cars usually carried their fuel tanks high and behind the driver's head because most engines relied on gravity feed carbs. The twin would need a large fuel tank. There were Shadows and Lightning engines supplied to car makers and if you have the old MPH's you can find a good list at 420 MPH at page 16. The list is not as detailed as it should be to give us a hand in figuring out which engine this is. I have no knowledge of the where-abouts this car or engine. I am glad the photo came to light.

David