Vincent part numbers

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greg, Vintage and Veteran Douglas motorcycles had ALL their fasteners stamped or cast in logos. The DK (Douglas of Kingswood) logo signified a 25TPI thread on a fastener. There were many other parts with the logo cast or stamped including some washers/spacers. It makes it interesting when restoring one of these lovely little machines.

nkt267

VOC Member
but what does the "5" signify on the aforementioned H35/1AS wingnut?
No5 wing nuts have a 3/8" whitworth thread and No3 have a 5/16" whitworth thread,I've made a few but cannot source any with the No5 anymore..John

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I thought at first that you must have giant brake rods, but I guess you are talking about the external thread on the steel insert that is screwed into the brass wing ??

clevtrev

VOC Member
Yeah, I've got Girdraulic spindles with part numbers, as well as one rear brake rod wing nut. Now, I know the answer to this one, and so does Glenn Bewley, but what does the "5" signify on the aforementioned H35/1AS wingnut? Part no. stamping seems less common on post 1951 machines as far as I can tell. The factory was not above using different size hexes on some in-house parts as well!
The AS denotes that the part is an assembly. It`s not a `5`.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yup, you get the prize! A number 5 wing nut was a british standard that obtained in 1947 signifying 3/8" Whitworth or B.S.F. thread with relative dimensions to suit. Another one for the forgers to scratch their bums about!!

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
Of the four on the bikes two are plain, one has a five cast in and fourth has five cast in and the part number punched on.
Years ago Bill Hancock spotted that one of the rear brake wing nuts on my bike sat vertically, he pointed out that it was a
Series A item.

Regards John.

davidd

VOC Member
Three types of brake rod wing nuts are available from Sam Manganaro. The no.5 with the part number. The no. 5 with no part number and this last part is available in cad plated steel or plain bronze. These are based on originals.

David

G

Graham Smith

The Spares Company have ones for both pre and post-war.

The post-war are brass with a steel insert and lay flat, whilst the pre-war ones sit vertical.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I'm not a D fan, but I believe that the enclosed D wing-nuts also sat vertically - to clear the enclosures...(?)

Peter B
Bristol, UK.