Vincent Ownership, the joys of?

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There are many times when I am approached by someone who is clearly in awe of my Vincent....my standard reply is to tell them that they are wonderful machines when running ( like any motorcycles is)...and a worthless piece of junk when they are not ( like any motorcycle is..)...in other words a healthy percentage of their perceived value is how they run.
Well gentle reader I am here to tell you that tonight my Vincent has slipped into the worthless category by dint of having frustrated me to my limit..
I installed a new 520 chain, along with sprockets as well as a new set of brake drums..and now;

The rear wheel will not move, it refuses to budge, even though I can see ample clearance twixt chain and G50...so what the devil is binding?

The front brakes cannot be brought into any semblance of proper adjustment, brake lever to the bars only just engages the brakes...Time for a reline ( I guess) which I had hoped would not be necessary....take it all apart, get them relined, then try to find someone to arc the linings..

Time for a G&T....

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Have you tried rotating the wheel with the chain off? Ditto for the sprocket? On the brakes, try the serrated washers at various positions to have the arms more forward (vernier function). I also "preload" the arms to push the linings against the drums before inserting the motion blocks to minimize the travel. The heavy brake cable that is available and the KTB balance beam outrigger help take the flex out of the system.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I'll go through this one slowly and try to be explicit; if you don't follow, please let me know. Firstly, stick the 'bike on its front stands, or jack it up until the front wheel is well clear of the floor. Disconnent the speedometer cable at the bottom end and free off the brake return spring, (there should only be one ) on the right -hand brake arm. Now, unscrew the solid axle and withdraw it. After this, by holding the wheel upwards against the mudguard, you should be able to wiggle out the cable trunnions. This done, you can replace the wheel and the solid axle. Set the eccentric stop pin on the bridge plate halfway in its travel range and re-tighten. Get a strong bit of string and tie the balance beam to the eccentric.Screw both brake adjusters down to within one turn of bottoming. Now, hang the brake trunnions on the cables and starting from the right-hand side, move the brake arms and serrated washers around until the trunnions align with their respective holes with the brake shoes just rubbing and the cables tight. Now if you are a triple-jointed dwarf with five foot long arms or a Jaguar mechanic, you should be able to remove the solid axle , refit the trunnions and return spring and refit the solid axle. The eccentric adjuster and one turn off bottom adjustment should be all you need provided your linings are o.k., your face plates H48 aren't worn, your brake plates don't flex, your handlebar lever ditto and your linings aren't shot. My opinion is that many brake plates, especially on Twins have shoe pivots that aren't parallel and this is an unseen cause of poor brakes. Thoughts from more knowledgeable gents welcome! F5AB/2A/7945 since 1970

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
In order to preserve what little sanity I have left, and to keep my blood pressure low, I simply turned out the lights, locked the garage door and went inside where my wife, sensing angst, served me a slice of apple pie..

I haven't tried a thing...nor will I, for a few days...

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
If the shoes are worn out the common thing is to change the arm positions so that the brake cam is further along its rotational path in the resting state.
At some point this can be taken too far and the cam will over centre on hard braking or worse, lock at centre. When this happens you will have a Vincent with a stuck parking brake, not a good thing, especially at speed.
Ive had this happen on another drum brake bike back in the days when all of my money was needed for fuel. It is something to watch out for with all drum brakes.

Glen

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
If the shoes are worn out the common thing is to change the arm positions so that the brake cam is further along its rotational path in the resting state.
At some point this can be taken too far and the cam will over centre on hard braking or worse, lock at centre. When this happens you will have a Vincent with a stuck parking brake, not a good thing, especially at speed.
Ive had this happen on another drum brake bike back in the days when all of my money was needed for fuel. It is something to watch out for with all drum brakes.

Glen

My first Comet had a single hacksaw cut across the outer end of the brake camshafts. At first I thought it was intended as a screwdriver slot but it was too narrow and too the shallow. I then realised it was in line with the cam and was a external 'telltale' to indicate the position of the cam relative to the brake shoes.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
In order to preserve what little sanity I have left, and to keep my blood pressure low, I simply turned out the lights, locked the garage door and went inside where my wife, sensing angst, served me a slice of apple pie..

I haven't tried a thing...nor will I, for a few days...

So nice to have company in the sin bin...

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you need your brake linings renewed I have excellent 3 day turnaround from Saftek (Old Bike Mart etc).

I had all Eight shoes on the HRD done & they work very well& the cost was very reasonable.

All the best Jon.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Many thanks...I can get them relined here in Winnipeg, its getting them arced to the radius of the drums that takes some doing...

bmetcalf

VOC Member
http://www.brakeplace.com/ click on Machine Shop

They relined my clutch shoes and the guy even recognized the shoes as Vincent parts! He had done sim. work for Bob Chantland.

I would be happy to take them over there for you and mail them back or you could deal directly if you wanted. You probably would have measure the ID of each drum and mark the corresponding shoes. A call to them will confirm or clarify that.