Vincent oil temperatures in real time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
One of the most misunderstood every day maintenance things concerning your Vincent is the best WT of oil to use winter/summer for best oil temperature and lubrication. Trever did a extensive study on this subject. The study will start you thinking. Now we have to get Trever to post the study

Max.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I for one would be interested in seeing it. I bet the guys involved in the Irving-Vincent have some interesting info on heat distribution, oil temps, and lube as well.
Steven

clevtrev

VOC Member
What you have here is a chart that should be self explanatory. They were taken at a Liphook meet in the early eighties. I`ve put some Fahrenheit conversions over to the right for those unused to Centigrade. The ambient air temperature that day was 8-10 degrees C. The day following I contacted Filtrate, to ask some questions, and maybe get some answers. After a discussion and a lecture on Centistokes, I asked what, in view of the figures I had given, we should have been using. The answer, Straight 10 !
oil temps.jpg

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Trever, At Bonneville I use 0 wt and pre heat, just started doing that last year, Its BRAD PENN OIL

Max

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Thanks Trev. I think I was at Liphook when you took the measurements, with the old man Alan on his Prince and me on my Ducati Pantah, Ken, Tony, Pete Ross etc. So - this suggests, slow-revving Vincent twins rarely get to 'working temperature' in the south of the UK in the summer with conventional oil weighting? Therefore, if using straight oil as I do now, say 20-w in the winter, and 30w in the summer? Or higher figures? Best wishes, let us no-engineers know. Dave Lancaster

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Trev, in your opinion how much difference would an ambient temp of say 30c make to those temps, I am still running in my Comet and am reluctant to ride on days when we are above 35c, I fear a synergistic effect on overall engine temperature. (being very cautious)

Regards
Kevin

vibrac

VOC Member
Certainly its been a long time since I used 40 thanks to the two strokes of yesteryear I can now use 30 at least those stink wheels achived something
(R of course):rolleyes:

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The R of yesterday aint the R of today. 250 stink wheel makes about 80 HP, about the same HP as a well tuned 1000 lightning. Hay honey , where is the remote , the ball game is about to start! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.