VINCENT MARINE ENGINES

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Bill, Sold very quick, At Vncents this area where these engine were made was no area for a nosey lads, kept out by MOD guys so this is one place I did not work

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
info so far on Marine Engines 500cc 14bhp at 3000rpm 7 to 1 BTH.mag ran on 72 .octane fuel, main project started 1944/5 and mounted in a lifeboat in heavy seas 4 knots how many made ? stock ? sold by MOD to the public 1954/6.

davidd

VOC Member
From David Bowen:
Photo 1
01.JPG

Photo 2
02.JPG

Photo 3
03.JPG

Photo 4
Lifeboat1.jpeg

Photo 5
Lifeboat2.jpeg

Photo 6
Lifeboat3.jpeg

Photo 7
Lifeboat4.jpeg

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
That starter motor near most in the last picture is exactly the same as the starters we had in the Twin Pioneer aircraft we restored 15 years ago, these with Alvis Leonides 9 cylinder radial engines. You can see by the mounting flange that it will bolt on in many different positions. The control panel even has a Bowden twin lever control, I can only assume one lever for the choke and one for the throttle...? I wonder what their take on a "Uniflow" engine meant....Reminds me of an old Commer Knocker engine, except they had a supercharger, being a 2 stroke design.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
WHERE CAN I GET THE BEST WRITE UP ON THEM

If I remember correctly, there was a very good description of the airborne lifeboat engine in a series on the
Vincent that Phil Vincent wrote in a magazine called Motor cycle Sport .I have no doubt their is somebody in the club that has the whole collection who could do you a print off.
stumpy lord