VINCENT MARINE ENGINES

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I remember seeing one run up at a Heaver rally it started and ran, then (still running) buckets and buckets were poured into the water intake and nothing came out, untill suddenly-spray time!

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
WHERE CAN I GET THE BEST WRITE UP ON THEM
For all you guys who were not around when P.C.V. was writing for the motor cycle sport, you can now get all those articles and more besides in book form, from a company called ASN Books and Films on bikes and cars for 39.95 euros.

The book is titled P.C. Vincent The Tales Of the Snarling 1908 -2008 and celebrates the centenary of the birth of P.C.Vincent. Included are the tales of the snarling beast which he wrote for' Motor cycle sport' in 1960. An interview and profile by Roy Harper and photos from P.C.V own collection with 80 black and white photos. 192 pages in all.

To add this lovely book to your library contact http:// www.asnbooks.com/vincent-snarling -beast.1908-2008

stumpy lord

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
That's the one Bob Culver owns and run it up at Heaver Rally
It actually belonged to Derek Sayer.

I remember that John Webber took a number of pictures of it running at the time and made the mistake of standing behind it.... He probably had to throw his oil sodden jeans away when he got home.

Ray

davidd

VOC Member
A look inside:

Cank.png

David

john998

VOC Member
Hello, about 15 years ago I stripped and rebuilt one of these for Mark Goodson. It is a very interesting engine, 3 cylinders, 6 pistons, 2 cranks chained together
to give asymmetrical port timing ( it is a 2 stoke). The middle cylinder is a double acting pump supplying fuel/air to the outer power cylinders.
The hand starter works through a fierce sized spring to spin the engine, the hand leaver has a Vincent kick start serration, this hand lever was missing so I used a spare
kick start lever to turn the engine over. The electrics were all aircraft quality, screened to stop interference as the boat was to have a radio. The hand starter was only a back up I think.
It was set up for economy as it had to be capable of a given range as dropped form the aircraft, usually a Hudson.
There is an article that about the rebuild in MPH. This engine went to Denver some time after completion, there was a overhaul write up supplied by the military with the engine when I had it, sadly I did not think to copy it. John.