Vincent Land Speed Racers

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
More photos. I have no information on these and John Ulver has proved my guessing is faulty, but I think this first photo is Joe Simpson:

Bonneville-Vincent-Racer.jpg

I believe this is Marty Dickerson on Joe's bike:

vin69.jpg

This is ex-Factory employee Sonny Angel:

Sonny_Angel_Vin.jpg

David

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
A young Joe Simpson with his early Lightning from the era of battling the newer Rollie Free Lightning which having the Big Port heads proved faster . Simpson then fitted the blower and greatly increased his speed .
The colorful extended racer is one of Lamkeys earlier creations having a magnesium frame . Very light , I held the amazingly light frame structure myself back years ago .
Indeed it was Marty Dickerson who rode Simpsons supercharged version of his Black Lightning to speeds above 185 . Sid .

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
A rare look "under the covers" of Dave Matson's bike, circa 2004, so I think this is his "small" motor.

WorldofSpeed2004.jpg

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Russell Wright on the FIM record holder, in a remarkably well preserved state, with the silver (Avon?) trophy he was awarded, from the 50th anniversary party in 2005.

DSC00453s.JPG

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Terry Prince's outfit, a recent AMA record setter at 149.808 MPH, going 152.508 one way over a timed mile, 1350cc on fuel.

DSC01455.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Come on Bruce, You say you have David's springs, What do they feel like ? I might have a set next month, And am feeling Nervous !! Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
They feel fine to me, but I didn't do back to back tests to be scientific about it. My wisecrack was about my new obsession about fork link angle. Sort of like the way I look to see if front tommybars are set so that you can reach up with your boot at speed and tighten it if you forgot to do it earlier.

Here's a link to a BBC show about Bonneville http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GFCBOwD-BwI Be careful it's an hour long and probably no Vin content (I haven't watched the whole thing.)

Howard

VOC Member
They feel fine to me, but I didn't do back to back tests to be scientific about it. My wisecrack was about my new obsession about fork link angle. Sort of like the way I look to see if front tommybars are set so that you can reach up with your boot at speed and tighten it if you forgot to do it earlier.

Here's a link to a BBC show about Bonneville http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GFCBOwD-BwI Be careful it's an hour long and probably no Vin content (I haven't watched the whole thing.)

Bruce, I know we're all getting older and forgetful, but how do you forget to tighten the wheel spindle, but remember to put the tommy bar where you can kick it? :)

Bonneville programme is quite good, (watched it on tv at the weekend) but no Vin content. I think it's the second episode, the first tells the different reasons why the teams are going to speed week.

H