Vincent Land Speed Racers

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a few photos of Vincents taken mostly at Bonneville. Below is an early photo of the very fast Dave Matson:

DaveMatson001.jpg

David

davidd

VOC Member
I wish I knew more about this photo, but it was taken in 1947 at Rosamond dry lake:

HRD_TT_Replica-Rosamond_1947.jpg

David

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
These latest photos of Bonneville Vincent racers are marvelous , especially to us having just recently set up and run a single and a twin . I would dearly love to learn any internal details carried out and the results of their attempts , times set , problems encountered . I'm sure the entire Forum would appreciate such details as much as myself such being so near and dear to us .
There lives in all Vincent owners heart the desire to have had such an adventure , I know it did in my own soul since my first ride back in 1951 . Do please share the trials and tribulations , and the exultation of having pulled it off . Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I see John has big delorto carbs, 38mm I think he said, I had 36mm on my special, And had fuel flow troubles, Like I had on 32mm Amals, Concentric Mk1, The cure was to fit float valves out of 40mm delorto's. Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
The problems with fuel flow are a constant issue and I believe they greatly affected our efforts , also with 32 mm Mk 1 s . I'm now fitting larger float needle seats and adding a better bowl vent . The new production Mk 1s have a highly restricted vent as delivered . I
Took the vent in now down through the hooded tickler buttons covers . Should alleviate the problem . I think the bowl vent s must also admit atmospheric pressure as well as air to get good Consistant function .
This task is made more difficult by the altitude and the fuel demand tho the jet sizes can be confusing unless these other details are understood .
Appreciate those details from others who have tried at the game of speed , we share in this madness ! Sid

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Sid, I got so fed up with Amals, I could Fry an Egg on my motor, After a hard run, It would not go over 110 mph !! So I bought some Gardners and did not use a float Chamber, Pipe straight out the tank, Only trouble was the mixture was a turn Richer/ Weaker from a full tank to a low tank, But it went well. Cheers Bill.