Vincent History

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Google cromer mill Hertfordshire UK, and you will see where Ted Davis lived 1948 195x he lived in the mill house, Danny Thomas another Vincent tester lived in a caravan on the same site

vibrac

VOC Member
when I knew him, he (and the summer house full of Vincent parts available at the 'right' price) were off the A505 at Letchworth I think somewhere down Willan way

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Yes that is correct Whitethorn lane, but the mill was also full of goodies there were two new vincents parked there every night on road test Stevenage was 8 miles from there.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes that is correct Whitethorn lane, but the mill was also full of goodies there were two new vincents parked there every night on road test Stevenage was 8 miles from there.

Now thats not bad! 50 years ago and my young head full of go-faster bits for the racer - mind you I had to browse google maps street view to refresh the memory I do rermember I only just got home I had empty pockets as well as an empty tank in the thames van race transport (Now that would be a collectors item)

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Been doing some research with Baldock museum, Ted Davis, Denis Minett, Henry Pinnington, (Tester) Dick whiteing all lived in the Baldock hertfordshire mens hostel 1947 1949 until they found there feet this is Dick Turpin, Black Bess, country so you can see were his merry men came from, also in Baldock was SERL a goverment department where Radar was provern and some of there guys lived in the Hostel so can you emanage the talk over Dinner, Weston where Phil Irving lived was just up the hill two miles away Ok just had a Pm from a uk member to say Robin Hood had merry men. So Dick Turpin had merry widows Black Bess was his Horse

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
A uk member has just sent this to me . Teds memorys it was Jack who in his capacity as works manager at vincent, was visited by the local police one winters day 1949 and informed of a man believed to be a vincent employee who had a Black Lightning in his bedroom obliviously stolen! a solemn Jack gave extra two puffs on his pipe before enquiring the fellows name the policeman produced his note book and pronounced that it was a Mr. T Davis residing at Cromer Mill, upon which Jack face lit up . OH, we know all about him ! he always builds his bikes in the bedroom? ( Jack William his son is the Ex Norton Rider Peter Williams and he himself ex pre war Vincent factory rider)

Last edited: