Vincent history Phill C Vincent

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
google The Thomas Alleyne Acadeny Stevenage uk The old Vincent HRD no 1 Factory is now part of there grounds to the right you will see a white building on the wall you will see The blue Vincent HRD co. sign. to the right of this a large white house this was PCV home and office 1928 1958. look on the other side of the road this is where George and Cliff Brown had there shop and the home or Nero, 500 yards down the road from PCV home you will see The Cromwell Hotel this is where PCV meet his wife

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
In 1953 Phil C Vincent was married to Elfrida, they went to Ireland for their honeymoon, to the home town of the bride and took Vincent racing Gunga Din with them, , Gunga Din was Raced there. I think some of the local Vincent owner can tell us more ?

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The gentleman that rode Gunga Din in Ireland at that time is still alive. I haven't met him, but read a very nice book he wrote. His name is Harry Lindsay. Harry also raced for Reg Dearden, and was the test rider on the Dearden Lightning, how many can say they rode both Gunga Din and the Dearden Lightning back in the day? The book title is The Seanachie of Motorcycling. Henry Martini knows Harry quite well, and has many of the photos of the Vincent and Gunga Din trip to Ireland.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
The gentleman that rode Gunga Din in Ireland at that time is still alive. I haven't met him, but read a very nice book he wrote. His name is Harry Lindsay. Harry also raced for Reg Dearden, and was the test rider on the Dearden Lightning, how many can say they rode both Gunga Din and the Dearden Lightning back in the day? The book title is The Seanachie of Motorcycling. Henry Martini knows Harry quite well, and has many of the photos of the Vincent and Gunga Din trip to Ireland.

Steve D.,
Do you know if Mr. Lindsay's book is still in print and available for purchase? Do you know if Mr. Martini is considering publishing/releaseing the photos of the trip? I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking these might be of interest to fans of the marque.
Thanks
Steven M.

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
Some folks might be interested to know that excellent photos exist from that Irish trip, showing not only Harry, PCV, Elfrida and Gunga Din, but also Cork man Dennis O'Neill, who owned the ex-Phil Heath Grey Flash. The engine of that Flash exploded in a big way at a race in the Curragh fifty or more years ago.

Gerry