PT: Exhaust Vincent Head Exhaust Threads

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chris R,
The previous owner of mine was a die maker and he made a thread chaser especially for the job, you can borrow it to clean out your threads providing I get it back reasonably soon (weeks rather than millennia)

Chris.

SDC15976.JPG

Chris.R

VOC Member
Sorry Chris , Just looked up a thread chaser, At Feked.com Don't think they would work on an inside thread,
The cutting bits go the other way, Can't remember what I did,
In the past I have just used a sharp screw driver and done it by eye,
Also you don't want to make the hole any bigger,
It's for use on crossed threads, I don't think yours are crossed ?.
You are right the threads are not crossed In the past on plumbing work I have used either a stanley knife blade or a small wire brush here a copper brush would suffice. I will try as you suggested earlier tighten the exhaust nut before fitting the fixing at the other end of the pipe to the engine plate and see how that goes.
Chris

Chris Launders

VOC Member

Chris.R

VOC Member
Chris R,
The previous owner of mine was a die maker and he made a thread chaser especially for the job, you can borrow it to clean out your threads providing I get it back reasonably soon (weeks rather than millennia)

Chris.

View attachment 42523
I am working on it here Chris I am hedging towards a visit to you on 21 or 22 June on my way north I will give you a call after I have sorted out the eventual destination in Morpeth with Tom.

vibrac

VOC Member
Rofor engineering fixed mine with the bike still on the trailer they are in Milton Keynes "someday all citys will be like this"( I B well hope not!):)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You could cut slots in an old nut, To act like a tap,
And if it's a bit loose, Nuts vary in size slightly.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
And if your nuts are getting a bit loose...,
You can expand them bit with exhaust pipe expander.
Certainly worked with Neal V. Gunmaterial.

Brass, i would look out a bit