Vincent Factory Photos

Miss Amanda Waterscooter

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Diogenes, to cut through and give you a factual answer, as far as I know it. Vincent had just moved between buildings from which to which I can't recall, but the photos were taken some time just before they recommenced work hence how clean and tidy it all was. It was very early after the war the Series 'B' in the photos shows many of the characteristics of a very early machine.

Amanda for Ian S

ossie

VOC Member
tsr2 did some work on that as well scrapped it and messed up a lot of engineering companies.
did blue streak bits as well.
saw the fairy delta droop nose and all at farnbrough had to use the whole runway to take off had one concord engine strapped underneath or was it two along time ago now.
or was it a vulcan bomber engine?? time does the memory

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
these pictures were taken Feb March 1948 the same time as the first Black Shadow was shown to the press they could have been taken by the press they only show the great north rd. factory

John Cone

VOC Member
I know it's not of the original thread, but regarding Concorde. I was on a Summer camp as a space cadet (ATC) in 1967 and was taken to Filton for a look around the building of Concorde. While we were there we saw a Vulcan which had four Rolls Royce Olympus engines which had been destined for concorde strapped underneath its wings as well as its own engines. Watching this thing take off was amazing. It was like putting a Jag V12 in to a BSA Bantum.

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
tsr2 did some work on that as well scrapped it and messed up a lot of engineering companies.
did blue streak bits as well.
saw the fairy delta droop nose and all at farnbrough had to use the whole runway to take off had one concord engine strapped underneath or was it two along time ago now.
or was it a vulcan bomber engine?? time does the memory

One of the side effects of TSR2 being cancelled, meant that a whole load of drawings were plonked on my desk, I was estimating at that time, with the instructions `Work through that lot, and pick out the ones we need on the shop floor to keep things moving`. The drawings :----- Greener Shotguns, and an even bigger pile from Harper Engines, all part of the Cope Allman empire, as we were. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. However I did use use some drawings to make parts for my Comet.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Interesting to get two such different opinions, first from Ian S
"Diogenes, to cut through and give you a factual answer, as far as I know it. Vincent had just moved between buildings from which to which I can't recall, but the photos were taken some time just before they recommenced work hence how clean and tidy it all was. It was very early after the war the Series 'B' in the photos shows many of the characteristics of a very early machine."

and second from David Bowen
"these pictures were taken Feb March 1948 the same time as the first Black Shadow was shown to the press they could have been taken by the press they only show the great north rd. factory".

I think the reason for the different opinions is the different interpretation of exactly which set of photos is being referred to in the initial query.

The ones I was considering show an oddly clean large open factory and no people.

The 1948 photos David Bowen refers to are quite different, and include human assembly workers.

I am now pretty sure that the photos I refer to record the first move from the old Great North Road No.1 Works to the No.2 Fisher's Green Works - see PEIrving autobiog p 353-355.

The photos may have been taken at a weekend, hence the absence of people, "in Autumn of 1946" .

But the exact purpose of getting professional photos taken of rows of components remains unclear.

"I suspect that this display was to impress some visiting bigwigs such as potential investors, but that is just a guess." remains the most likely reason, in my opinion.

Maybe the club Archivist could tell us more - there have been over 950 views to date, so there has been significant interest expressed in the topic.

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
the pictures with no people no 2 factory(fishers green) 1946 assemble was moved to.no 1 factory (grt. north rd.) late 1946. so pictures with people taken there 1948. late 1951 assemble was moved back to no 2 factory I have seen some pictures of this there are people in them. it is possible that I will be at the herts and beds rally june 25 26 if Im show pictures I will try to ID them. Bob Culver has these pictures Jack Furness and my self and a few ex Vincent guys haved ID most of them,,

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I remember making bits for Concord(e) in 1966-67. It was all like jewellery, you could have worn it on a chain round your neck. Probably cost as much as REAL jewellery too. Even the bog door handles were machined from solid - or "from billet" as the term now is.