PT: Exhaust Vincent engine in a Slimline Featherbed Frame

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you can sort the Atlas vibes somehow, a Norton twin in Norton Featherbed is nice.
There are scads of other engines that have been transplanted into those frames. I wonder if any of them are as good as a light, quick little 650ss? ( World's fastest production motorcycle 1963)

I might be biased!

Glen

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well mine's not strictly an Atlas, It's a1960 Dominator 99, with altered crankcases, balanced 750 Commando crank, rods and top end with a single 32mm mk1 concentric, belt primary/Commando clutch and back wheel, 2ls front, not a road burner but masses of torque, brilliant back lanes machine. The Commando engine mods came about as the 600 barrel broke in the late 80s and I couldn't afford a new one or find a good 2nd hand good one, 750 Commando stuff was cheap and easy to get at the jumbles, then fitted the 2ls front brake obviously, eventually wore out the Dommi clutch completely so fitted the belt drive and Commando back wheel as an update. Been using it 35 years now.

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Can do Eric but it just looks like any other 1960 Norton, other than the Commando oil feeds to the head it's no different than any Dommi/Atlas.

Rixon

VOC Member
Yes that's a Slimline, I'm tempted to change my Norvin from "cafe racer" styling to more standard Norton, I've been using my Atlas for months and when I went out on the Vincent a couple of weeks ago was disappointed with how bad it felt comfort/weight, handling wise even with all the mods I've done.

That's the style I'm going for. Dominator tank, straight bars, Vincent footrests and I'm even using a Norton oil tank and tool box (lid at least). The oil tank has been modified quite a bit to get it to fit round the rear cylinder.

Oil tank still loose at the moment and the seat is a work in progress - a mock up of foam and plywood.

cylinder.
20200327_160500 (1500x898) (2).jpg

Last edited:

brian gains

VOC Member
that deffo has nice lines, I would say give plenty of thought to electrics in tool cover(?) and access to rear carb'.