Vincent Concept Design- They called it "The Beast"

c. mackiewicz

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My name's Craig and my classmate Ian and I are creating a modern interpretation of a Vincent motorcycle.

These are the specs:

It's a standard/naked bike with an emphasis on the owners ability to work on the bike themselves.

We wanted to concentrate on specific Vincent traits like-
-girder front end
-50 degree v-twin
-gloss black paint scheme
-shrouded dual rear shocks
-unified proportions

This is our most recent design evolution for the engine for the bike. It's a brand new engine that echoes the classic forms of the original.
t0jnft.jpg

Here's a picture of the Black Lightning for reference.
2a657q8.jpg

Please keep in mind that we are students and doing are best to learn about motorcycles and the Vincent legacy. Any criticism is greatly appreciated, positive or negative. We need your help!!
••IMAGE NO LONGER AVAILABLE••

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The front cylinder at an angle like a Ducati will force a longer wheelbase.

Have you read Motorcycle Engineering by Phil Irving? Irving was the chief Engineer at Vincents from the mid 30's to the late 40's, with brief periods away. There are other books with insights from Phil Vincent and others, such as The Vincent HRD Story, Phil Irving's Autobiography, and Vincent - The Complete Story.

c. mackiewicz

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks bmetcalf, I'll try to find those books. As far as the engine goes, we felt that by tilting the block forward, while still keeping the 50 degree angle of the old Vincent motors, we could increase airflow to the rear piston. From what we've read, they normally run much hotter.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks bmetcalf, I'll try to find those books. As far as the engine goes, we felt that by tilting the block forward, while still keeping the 50 degree angle of the old Vincent motors, we could increase airflow to the rear piston. From what we've read, they normally run much hotter.
Front cylinder runs hotter by 20 degrees F .

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Cooling the cylinders

The Sunbeam S7 (a fore-and aft parallel twin - my secret sin, ridden when I've remembered to take my medication....) is exactly the same. The front pot gets hotter than the rear . I think it might be something to do with the Laws of Physics, airflow splitting around the front wheel......

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
cooling cylinders

Hi ,
strange as it sounds,the cooling air over the engine flows from the rear to the front, that is the reason that when you have an oil leak on the front cylinder you can end up with oil on the front mud guard. If you think about it, the front wheel and mud guard are punching a great hole in air which causes a semi vacum behind the wheel, this has to be filled, and the only way the air can do it is to come in from the sides and rear
Ok, I am now safely in my trench.
norm.:p

c. mackiewicz

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Wow, that is an interesting fact. Thank you for the insight. We have included small wings under the front cylinder in attempts catch the air normally flowing under the bike, and redirecting it upwards. We are also toying with the idea of creating an air-shaft which would catch air near the top of the forks and redirect it downward. The air would finally exit between the cylinders. This is the reason behind adjusting the fins from horizontal, to vertical, which is visible in the drawing.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Cooling Vincents

There's a joke that the Vincent is a collection of brilliant solutions to non-existent problems. It would be in the great spirit of that if you were to be concerned about further cooling a motor on which the oil reaches about 50, maybe 70 degrees C at best. I wish your endeavour well, but cooling isn't really a problem.
I can confirm the business of the air moving over the engine "backwards" - I spent weeks searching for the source of a a persistent oil drip from the front of the motor until someone told me the leak was probably at the back. It was.......