H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Vincent Comet 1952

MJohnS

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a very original 2 owner 1952 Comet with less than 20k on the clock which appears to be correct. I am starting a sympathetic restoration intending to keep it as original as possible. One of the main things I need to do is to have the wheels rebuilt. It is currently fitted with a "Trade Dunlop" WM2-19 front wheel rim and a "Trade Dunlop Mark" WM3-18 rear wheel rim. The "Original Vincent Motorcycle" shows that these wheels should be 3X20in front and 3.50X19in rear. Please can anyone advise? ps the wheels are currently fitted with ancient Avon Speedmaster Mk2 tyres 3X19 and 4X18

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You might have in your possession a very nice Touring Comet, they would be the correct wheel rim sizes if it is, your best bet is to check it out with the Machine Registrar Simon Dinsdale, does it have valanced steel mudguards or Birmabright? The steel ones were fitted to the Touring Comets.

MJohnS

Forum User
VOC Member
It is fitted with Birmabright mudguards which look original. Thanks for your advice about contacting the Machine Registrar.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Let me have the engine and frame numbers via a private message or email (address in MPH) and I will look it up in the factory records and see what it says was fitted new.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Looking up the numbers provided, this Comet was originallly a Touring bike and the factory records say fitted with 19" front and 18" rear wheels, black painted steel touring mudguards and touring handlebars when new.
Simon

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I know there is no such thing as a standard Vincent, but isn't a little unusual to have 19 inch rims fitted to both the front and rear wheels on the Touring Model.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can well imagine that if the bike was intended for long distance touring it would make sense to have two wheel, tyres and tube the same size to minimize the spares carried.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I know there is no such thing as a standard Vincent, but isn't a little unusual to have 19 inch rims fitted to both the front and rear wheels on the Touring Model.
Typo error by me. It should read 18" rear wheel which I have edited. It is possible to get both wheels 19" from the factory and there is a few bikes in the records with such.