Vincent Cafe Racer Build

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would have thought that the reduced under head contact area of the socket cap bolt and the complete absence of contact area of the nut missing from the inner hub face both render the assembly more prone to instability under the torsional stresses imposed by acceleration and braking. In any case, as I've pointed out before, by using correct components one can build the hub and brakes completely before lacing on the rims. Incidentally, this may have been done on the fairground Wurlitzer pictured above.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eddy, I am not sure whether you are requesting photos to make it easier for yourself to visualise or for the benefit of all, but all Marcus does is to drill out the aluminium hub holes, either 5 or 10 hole hubs, then tap and helicoil those holes back to the original thread form and size as the standard hub bolts, but you will not use the standard bolts with eccentric heads, instead you use socket cap head bolts inside the brake drums and screw them into your newly installed helicoils fitted to the aluminium hubs, thereby doing away with either 5 or 10 nuts completely, that is your weight saving, plus I suppose a little shorter bolts as they only need to engage with helicoil, also seems that for safety Marcus wire locks the socket cap head bolts inside the brake drum, I think I will stick with 5 bolt hubs and nylock nuts, oh yes and sore knuckles!
Dear Peter,
Your explanation is sufficient, thank you.✔ I've got the eccentric head bolts and locknuts too. When I put the bolts back in after doing a disc brake conversion I strained something in my forearm tightening the nuts and had to have physio to sort it out. If I have the bolts out again I might use Marcus' mod if only to avoid the Repetitive Strain Injury.;)