Vincent Brochure 1949

Rixon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm in possession of a Vincent brochure from 1949. It has the picture of a "two-up" Vincent on the front cover and introduces the Girdraulic fork inside. I've had the brochure for many years but am having a general clear out and may dispose of it. Condition is quite good although the front and rear covers have become detached from the staples. Any idea what it's worth ?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
There are only two avenues to explore, one is to ask the price that you would be happy to receive for it, the other is to put it into an auction, Bonhams and Ebay spring to mind, market forces will then dictate the value.

Last edited:

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
There is a third option...keep it, and forget about profiteering.
I see nothing wrong in making a profit? Some enthusiasts are strange people, they try to buy parts etc for nothing, moaning about prices and others profiteering but still want full retail when they sell a bike. I've never heard these people say "well I only paid £50.00 for it in 1965 so I'll take £75.00 for it"....................

Albervin

VOC Member
There is a difference between making a profit and profiteering. A good example happened here in Australia yesterday. Bottled water normally sells for about 0.80¢ a bottle. A shop near the fire zone was selling it for $2.00 a bottle. That is profiteering.! It is unethical, hateful and a few other things I shouldn't say.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
There is a difference between making a profit and profiteering. A good example happened here in Australia yesterday. Bottled water normally sells for about 0.80¢ a bottle. A shop near the fire zone was selling it for $2.00 a bottle. That is profiteering.! It is unethical, hateful and a few other things I shouldn't say.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of our former Governor Jennifer Granholm but as the state's attorney general in the wake of 9/11 she crucified gas station owners and companies that suddenly started charging 2.5 to 4 times the market rate for a gallon of gas. She fell on them like a ton of bricks. That is the one decent thing she did.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
So, is Rixon attempting to make a profit, obtaining market value, or profiteering? Profiteering is taking advantage of people who have no, or limited, choices. Nobody has to buy a catalogue, it's worth what the market will stand. Inevitably, it will be bought by someone who can afford it, that's not profiteering by the seller. I'm with him and would do exactly the same, ie trying to work out what the market value is. Probably between £100 and £200.

Rixon

VOC Member
I'm merely interested to find it's value and I thought this forum would be the place to ask.

If its worth say £10 I probably won't be bothered to go through the hassle of advertising, posting etc. If its worth say £100 I would.

Any funds raised will go towards my Norvin rebuild. Hopefully that doesn't offend anyone. ;)