Vincatii

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Are you suggesting that I am not of sound mind?
The Honda donor frame was shaft drive. Thankfully it never crossed my mind to stuff the Comet motor in there sideways. That might have resulted in a VOC fatwa.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Who mentioned Comet, it looks wide enough for a twin !! and what person of sound mind would ride a Vincent anyway. That certainly doesn't describe me.
That Monster frame would do to put my spare bevel drive engine in, but the shipping is probably more than the frame's worth.

vibrac

VOC Member
many many years ago I was loaned a ducati for a day an SS? 750 with a silver blue fibreglass tank that allowed you to see the petrol level. Early on a foggy morning I rode it to Snetterton (100 miles) and went round and round all day then rode it home. I was very impressed, so much so I did an article for MPH wobbling on about it being a series 'E'. The owner did not have much of a clue and in spite of my instructions he always changed down far too early and he blew it up at Silverstone within weeks.
fortunately I saw the light and bought another Egli.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Too bad, because to be honest... I actually have 2 monster frames in that shed.
I do have a twin engine in the making, but last thing I need is another rabbit hole special. My fabrication time is being spent on a KVFTT knockoff and Lightning rearset bits. As if that is a more practical use of time.....

Cyborg

VOC Member
One of my all time favourites. Too bad a previous owner thought it would look better in black. When I sold it the guy wanted to trade for a NA-64 Yale that was missing the bits from the firewall forward (speaking of sound minds).
A10C4115-77A3-4855-B306-01BD556B76A7.jpeg
5DBAA4CB-D7A8-47CD-8A75-9CB088FA8525.jpeg

Oldhaven

VOC Member
This was mine. My wife and I rode it from Maine to the Ohio Rally and back in the 80's. I kind of liked it in black, done in compensation after I sold my first Rapide and missed it later. The picture here is after I sold it and it was semi restored by the guy that bought it a couple of years ago. He kept the paint job. It was hard to keep reliable due to the electrics, but was a great bike otherwise.

IMG_0323.JPG

And just after getting back to Maine. We kept having to add padding on the seat as it was harder by the mile. It rained the whole way back.

Ducati, Bowdoin005.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
This is my Darmah SS, knowing the electrics problems Ducati's had I rewired it doing away with the multi-plugs and excess wiring, I also has a home made hydraulic clutch and with Kawasaki GPZ 900 master cylinders has far more braking power, stripped and rebuilt to run on R40.
Bikes_1_001.jpg

oexing

VOC Member
The 750 GT Duc is quite allright, not so the 860 or 900 cc types. You are lucky to run a Vincent or two but you´d be wrong to expect same mileages from these Ducatis and better be prepared for all sorts of defects. In Italy the brand has no good reputation only for short time joy. The cranks were notoriously short lived, dropping out valve seat rings, noisy engines when high mileages etc. . In the photo a conrod of a 860 GT, around 35 000km , OK, new engine was used for Bavaria to New Delhi and back in 1976 - just, and after a frame change (warranty) a trip to IOM and back - well almost. I towed Max on his 860 GT Duc on the motorway for at least 100 km from Belgium to over the border behind the R 69 S and megaphones after the Duc engine got extremely noisy for fear of exploding any second.
A few years later Max did a trip to Finland , the Duc had about same mileage done again , 35 000 km, some days it was stuck in 4th gear which healed itself. When the engine got to same noise level as previously Max decided to get a plane flight home. The Duc was collected later by our RAC / ADAC and delivered home for another repair. Problem is material choice for crank pin and conrod, 36 mm pin, paired with oil filter in a bypass, not full flow.

Vic
P1020947.JPG

P1020968.JPG