Vincatii

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I love the look of the Vincati Specials, I consider them to be not only visually appealing, but also technically fascinating. I rode a few Bevel Ducatis back in their hey day, always enjoyed the handling. Some were over sprung, but that is easily dealt with. Fitting a well built, new build, Vincent engine would make them reliable, and they can have an electric starter, what is not to like about that? ;)

A_HRD

VOC Member
Which Ducati model(s) are you advocating as a donor bike? The problem with finding one these days, most have values attached to them approaching Vincent levels - regardless of condition. This especially applies to the 1970s Desmo 900ss bevels - one of the most evocative motorcycles ever devised. It would be sacrilege to break-up one of those. And then there's the 750 GT or Sport - a few of which were manufactured with Electric Start too (between the cylinders) - like this one!
Peter B
750GT ES 1973 Ducati 031.jpg

750GT Delivery Day 018.jpg

P1070546.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The 860 GTS would by far be cheapest, still probably well under £10k. I have a Darmah SS and although haven't used it for years it was amazingly quick, reliable and had an electric start, without the expense of building and fitting a new Vincent engine. I even have a spare 860 engine on the shelf.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Which Ducati model(s) are you advocating as a donor bike? The problem with finding one these days, most have values attached to them approaching Vincent levels - regardless of condition. This especially applies to the 1970s Desmo 900ss bevels - one of the most evocative motorcycles ever devised. It would be sacrilege to break-up one of those. And then there's the 750 GT or Sport - a few of which were manufactured with Electric Start too (between the cylinders) - like this one!
Peter B
View attachment 32941

Wow, that is a stunning example! I saw one like that with electric start once, never been seen again since. Yes, nice ones do have eye watering values, like Vincents. But there must be some derelicts lying around. When I think back to the numbers we had here in NZ in the 70's & early 80's and the numbers we see on the road these days, they have gone to ground. We see more /5 & 6 BMWs & Round Barrel Guzzis on the road.
I am sure the reason for that is because they are lying in sheds, or polished in lounges, with munted bigends and gearbox bearings. This is a fact, not a put down, sadly.
I personally like the 750GTs, both standard & upgraded with Vincent power.
The "1200SS" of VOC Member,Mitch Talcove is spectacular with its gold drum brakes & Terry Prince top end.
1584820728495.png

A_HRD

VOC Member
I even have a spare 860 engine on the shelf.

Chris,
Well, there's an opportunity for you - probably the first person to be in a position to build a Ducvin or Ducent!
Simply(!) put the 860 Duke engine in a Vincent rolling chassis; probably paint the engine gloss-black first for even greater appeal. :cool:
Peter B

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Chris,
Well, there's an opportunity for you - probably the first person to be in a position to build a Ducvin or Ducent!
Simply(!) put the 860 Duke engine in a Vincent rolling chassis; probably paint the engine gloss-black first for even greater appeal. :cool:
Peter B
Too late, it's already been done.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yep, the 1200cc Vincati above is indeed a thing of beauty.

One of the appealing features of the '74 GTE above is that it has the gear-change on the right, as standard, like proper motorcycles. :)

Too late, it's already been done

Well who'd have thought it!

Peter B

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Peter B
View attachment 32941

View attachment 32943
In the early 1970's my brother bought a new Ducati 750 GT with electric start just like the one in the photographs. Beautiful bike, nice handling, it had a great feel about. The actual quality was poor. This was not exclusive to Ducati as many Italian machines were known for poor electrics, instruments and general quality. They did, however, make some good looking bikes in my eyes.
My brother's 750 GT had a rear head that continued to leak oil even after being"fixed" and the orange paint faded badly amongst other things. He didn't keep this bike for long, i.e. a few months not years.
I bought a new Ducati ST4S in 2003. By this time the quality was pretty good. The desmo, belt drive cam engine was the 996 engine from the 996 Superbike with different exhaust timing to move the lovely torque lower down the rev range. Mine looks a bit beat up now (I don't do shiny) but it is great to ride. It is insured but not taxed for the road at the moment. I annualy "rotate" the use of my various bikes and am thinking maybe my Ducati will get used this year ........ when I've finished tinkering with the Rapide.:)

Cyborg

VOC Member
I did consider a Ducati frame, but from a Monster as they are plentiful and sometimes available in exchange for beer or sold by the pound. I didn't get as far as offering the engine/gearbox up to the frame, so still have no idea if it is feasible. A different look for sure and not as "traditional" as the bevel frame. It would take some surgery to deal with space/mount for the front head. In hindsight perhaps less work than the 3 shed approach of the Honda frame. The red tail light is attached to a nice straight 750 Monster frame which unfortunately is now residing in shed #2.

Dumpster 2.jpg
Comet final ? assembly.jpg