Vin Single at Chimay

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Am in Spain for a month, with family and NO bikes. Yes, poor me! But I would love to read the article in mph499.
Can somebody please scan it for me?

I'll buy you a beer at the Hever!

timetraveller

VOC Member
The article in MPH 499 by ClevTrev was due to ClevTrev’s brake lining supplier telling him that all the Vincent brake shoes were wearing out at the pivot end. Trev set up a brake on his computer controlled milling machine and measured various parts of the brake system. He made the assumption that before the brake is applied the linings should be concentric with the brake drum and then worked backwards to find out what the actual situation was. He reached the conclusion that the pivot pins were the correct distance apart but were one millimetre too far out from the centre of the brake plate. This applied to steel brake plates.
Those of us who have used either electron racing plates or their aluminium replacements know that they have an oversized hole in their centres and that the correct way to set up the racing brakes is to apply the brakes hard before the central tommy bar is tightened to allow the shoes to self-centre in the drum. This presupposes that the hole in the centre is sufficiently large to allow this to happen and each set up should be checked individually.
I recently had some correspondence with Mike Hawthorn and sent him some photographs of the welded up brake shoes on the Cecil Mills bike. This modification allow about one and two third linings to be fitted to each brake shoe. The resolution of the photograph of Mike’s bike is insufficient on my PC to allow me to be sure but it looks to me as though he still has two pivots on his front brake plate. I will try to attach the photographs below in case they are of interest to anyone else.
PIC_1004.jpgPIC_1005.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
For those of you who are interested in talking to Mike directly about brake linings and the brake mods, you can send him a private message by typing in his user name: "mike13" on the private message screen or you can contact him at mjh1@hotmail.co.uk.

David