Vietnam

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dressing left

One of the reasons cited for Japanese cars costing three times as much in Britain than anywhere else was that they had to be converted to LH drive. Japan drives on the left. China (I can't really remember exactly) may do too. Singapore does. Thailand does. I think Indonesia does - crazy not to since their neighbours do. Brunei does. Malaya does, India does, and in Pakistan, while they expect a concensus to be reached soon, it's at least nominally left. Vietnam I remember for the seamless and ceaseless merging of ten lanes of Honda Cubs in converging directions at a junction, a feat that any motorcycle display team would have boggled at. We slowly sailed across in an SUV, like a shark beset by sardines.

Tom

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Now I heard that the Irish (or for us Canadians, those from Newfoundland "The Newfies") were thinking about driving on the other side of the road. They thought they would start with the lorries (trucks) for a month or so and see how it goes---

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Here's a joke that my Twillingate friends told me..

"whats black and blue and floating in st.Johns harbour"?

a mainlander telling newfie jokes..

Sorry robert - I couldn't resist..

Alan J

VOC Member
"The old jokes are the best!"- so they say. Which side of the road one drives on in the east, depends on the density of the traffic! I did notice in Nepal {name dropping again, says my dear wife} That the cannine variety of traffic is usually laid out in the sun in the middle!!-along with the pigs geese.t.c.:confused::confused:

clevtrev

VOC Member
One of the reasons cited for Japanese cars costing three times as much in Britain than anywhere else was that they had to be converted to LH drive. Japan drives on the left. China (I can't really remember exactly) may do too. Singapore does. Thailand does. I think Indonesia does - crazy not to since their neighbours do. Brunei does. Malaya does, India does, and in Pakistan, while they expect a concensus to be reached soon, it's at least nominally left. Vietnam I remember for the seamless and ceaseless merging of ten lanes of Honda Cubs in converging directions at a junction, a feat that any motorcycle display team would have boggled at. We slowly sailed across in an SUV, like a shark beset by sardines.

Tom
India Driving
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5060572917469383923&vt=lf&hl=en
Watch for the pedestrian, 30 secs in, bottom right.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member