Very bad blow by - Help!

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eric

I haven't used a timed breather for 30 plus years, so I may be wrong on this. I seem to remember I got rid of mine, because it was two pieces pressed together, and the pinion turned on the tube with the tinming slot in it, changing the timing.

You could have timed it right after all.

H

clevtrev

VOC Member
Eric

I haven't used a timed breather for 30 plus years, so I may be wrong on this. I seem to remember I got rid of mine, because it was two pieces pressed together, and the pinion turned on the tube with the tinming slot in it, changing the timing.

H

But that`s impossible, it`s an idler. All that would happen is that it would open at a different point, but you`d soon know when oil comes out everywhere.

Howard

VOC Member
But that`s impossible, it`s an idler. All that would happen is that it would open at a different point, but you`d soon know when oil comes out everywhere.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought Eric was concerned he'd timed his breather wrong. Mine was timed right, until the pinion turned on the tube, the pinion was right by the marks, but the slot in the tube was timed wrong, and as you say, in my case oil came out all over the shop!

H

clevtrev

VOC Member
Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought Eric was concerned he'd timed his breather wrong. Mine was timed right, until the pinion turned on the tube, the pinion was right by the marks, but the slot in the tube was timed wrong, and as you say, in my case oil came out all over the shop!

H

No, it was me that misunderstood, there`s timing and timing.

Ducdude

VOC Member
As I said,for a quick test, you can just block off the timed breather and fit the 'D' breather to any tappet adjuster hole (either of the middle two would be best) and then just see if you have temporarily solved the problem. You will certainly loose oil through the new breather but not so much as to damage the engine with a quick ten mile ride. If it cures the pressure problem then you can think about what to do next. If not then we all have to think where the excess pressure can be being generated. Good luck.

Thanks Time..

The parts are on order and the work starts this week end!

Cheers,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
I cannot remember whether you were one of the people I sent the instructions to for timing the beather. David

Thanks David any help would be greatly appreciated...The leak down test is coming.

Much Thanks,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric, you could fit an elephant's trunk. Best to block off the timed breather. As a trial you could fit the trunk but let hit hang, fit a condom on the end and fire up the bike. The condom should blow up and then go down. If it takes off like a jet propelled franger then you have serious blow by and you may have to bite the bullet and take the head and barrels off.

Yea I know this is a possable out come....Time and testing will prove it out one way or the other and then I will plan the attack:)...I am still hopeing the faries will fix the bike while I sleep..LOL

Cheers,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Newsflash , Newsflash
Local vicar hit by flying object.
\The object, which has a flexible outer membrane, contained some form of black hydrocarbon and smelt vaguely of high temperature combustion. Because of the possible extra-terrestrial nature of the object experts from the local university have been called in and the object has been placed into a hermetically sealed radioactive proof container and taken to the testing laboratories..

Cum on I can not condom this type of screwing around. I hear the university spokesperson was named John Thomas and the lab assistants were Roger, Dick and Peter and due to the nature if the original assault they named the ET The Bishop and took turns polishing it as a prophylactic safe guard....

An now for something completely different...#3 the Larch

Yup I have lost it.....

Thank,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric

H

Here you see the pic.s of my breather installed it was lined up as well as I could do and I did blow in the breather line and the air passed when it was supposed to and was blocked when it was supposed to according to KTB...
Timing chest with wheel.jpgTiming chest II.jpgDSC02750.jpgTiming Chest.jpg

Still I may have mucked it up ....???

Thanks,
Eric

Howard

VOC Member
Still I may have mucked it up ....???

Thanks,
Eric[/QUOTE]

Hi Eric

Looks close enough to me.
Mine was still set like this when I had breather problems, but the breather pinion had turned on the tube so that the holes in the tube met the holes in the fixed shaft at the wrong time. Sorry, if I'm not being clear, I talk better with a pen and sketch pad.

This all may be a red herring, and not relavent to your "blow past" problem. It happened to me in the 70s when good spares were hard to find.

H