E: Engine Valve Springs

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So everything I have been told about Valve springs is that they should be counter wound, inner and outer, and that they should be a light push fit, one inside the other. If there is no interference between them I am told that they will do funny things at speed, Anybody got any great words of wisdom?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Each spring will still have its own resonant frequency and keep the assembly from getting “funky.”

davidd

VOC Member
Both systems are used, non-interfering springs and interference springs. The interference springs are more common for hot rodding and they do rub. I have been using the RD Gold Star springs for racing, which are the interference type double spring. I assume that the Vincent triple spring were interference springs.

You can use single springs. The beehive springs are used solo. The design (oval wire) and the quality is usually up a notch, which gives good results.

David

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Beehive springs have the added advantage over double springs of needing a lower seated pressure due to less oscillating mass.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Richardson states "the valve springs must be a good fit in each other" and I assume that means at least touching with a slight push to fit.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Old school. Think about the heat being generated. You're better off using compound wound springs to prevent surging.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I know all that, but if someone was to order valve springs and they arrived with 40 - 50 thou clearance between the inner and the outer what would you think, besides that I am calling RD in the morning????

These by the way to go in a nice old Rapide with Mk1 Cams and pretty much stock everything, no racing just looking for a good running Vincent for the street that does what it should do as it left the factory.......

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Ok. For everything standard I wouldn't worry about having them rubbing or anything else technical, just check that the seated pressure is above 70 lbs.

vibrac

VOC Member
Both systems are used, non-interfering springs and interference springs. The interference springs are more common for hot rodding and they do rub. I have been using the RD Gold Star springs for racing, which are the interference type double spring. I assume that the Vincent triple spring were interference springs.

You can use single springs. The beehive springs are used solo. The design (oval wire) and the quality is usually up a notch, which gives good results.

David
David around 11 months ago you were looking at behove springs and we're stuck for machining did the project progress?