Valve spring install height

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You can turn some metal out in an inspection cap to make more room for the spring cap. But, you better use your calipers and take light cuts!

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I am also using R-D beehive springs, Ti retainers and keepers. What seat pressure to you adjust to and what is the installed height that gives you that?

Heads are Terry Prince so I do not have a problem with the .440 lift of the cams. I also have a set of Neil Vindean adjusters and will check the clearance of the caps when setting up the engine.

John

davidd

VOC Member
John,

I was hoping you wouldn't ask. I don't have the bike or my notes with me. I am not using behive springs, I am using Gold Star springs. I think that Randy and I came out using 120 lbs seat pressure. I think this is what BMW uses. Carleton went as high as 230 lbs. when experimenting with different cams, but he came back down in the later seasons. The machinist who cut the grooves for the keepers was not as accurate as I wanted (it was not R-D) so some of the springs needed a shim and some did not. I run Neils adjusters also. The exhaust valve was the tallest and I had a cap with a small hole drilled in it. I simply added a piece to the top of the cap and welded it on. The caps that Terry sells are probably from Neil.

ValveCaps.png

David